Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Homeschooling

Homeschooling is hard.

I am teaching the little boys to read. My 3yo is catching on very quickly. My 5yo is doing well but it is not as easy for him. Since we are reading from the same book, I teach them together. Today I almost made 5yo cry. It is nothing new for one of my children to cry about school, but for him to cry really struck a soft spot in my heart.

When I saw 3yo doing so well and surpassing him, it made me want to push 5yo a little harder. He didn't actually cry, but his eyes turned blue underneath like they do when he is about to cry. I felt so bad. I can't do that. The beauty of homeschooling is allowing them to learn at their own pace. That can be hard.

From now on, I will teach them separately. I think that'll help. Sometimes I wish I could just be their mom and not their teacher. I would just play with them, and love them, cook them yummy foods, correct them when needed, and read to them. But I definately don't want to be separated from them all day every day. Then there wouldn't be time for all that anyway.


No comments: