Tomato staking is a new term I learned this year in training children. The jist of it in a nutshell is keeping the child with you all throughout the day in order to be always available to train them up instead of leaving them to themselves to play. Much like a tomato is tied to a stake in order to grow up straight and not sprawl out all over the place with fruit rotting on the ground.
I am used to having the 3 little boys with me all day but my older kids are at a point to be trusted pretty well. At least I thought so. My sweet 8 yo daughter is having trouble staying on task, remembering a directive, and working diligently. I decided to "stake" her for these next 3 days.
She was so disappointed with this decision. She considers that a baby thing and thinks that she is too old for it. I explained that age is not as important as maturity and she needed some time to mature. She still isn't crazy about it but I think as the days go on she'll realize it's not so bad.
She will get to work with me in the kitchen more, go more places, and generally just be by my side. For her that will mean more talk time. Boy, does she love to talk!! If I have her go off to do an errand apart from me, she will have to report back as soon as she is done and I will check it. Her chores will take a little longer this way but I think she'll find herself in less trouble.
For the most part, it will be harder for me than her. It requires great discipline for me to stick with it and lots of patience...especially when my ears are tired!! I lack both of those. Isn't it funny how much training our children actually trains us? So after this week, I told her we'd talk about it again and I'd evaluate how she's done and consider unstaking her. I have a feeling she'll do well as she is easy to correct and very teachable. I hope I will say the same about my patience!!
No comments:
Post a Comment