Friday, July 14, 2006

Summer Grilling

In an attempt to save $$ on my electric bill I decided to learn to grill. I've always considered it man's work and so it fell under Honey's jurisdiction. I didn't even know how to light it. I asked him to show me how it worked.

The first thing I grilled was portabella mushrooms. They turned out ok but overcooked. Next I tried frozen pizzas. You were right, Mom, that wasn't a good idea! The bottoms were black, the top undercooked. Next, were burgers. I had to call them "blackened burgers". After that I was about to give up but gave it one more shot. I tried the mushrooms again. This time I realized that "high" is not the only setting. That helped.

I decided I do not like grilling. It's scary to push that button to light it. I imagine a big flame shooting up even though it hasn't happened yet. It's hot outside and opening that hot lid to feel that hot air on my face is no good. Then there's the going in and out of the house to keep checking on it. How is that saving electricity when I'm air-conditioning the whole backyard? Did I mention the night when I had to go back out at 10:30 in my pj's b/c I remembered that I forgot to turn the gas off?

I was right the first time...grilling is man's work!

No comments: