Saturday, January 02, 2016

My (short) Reading List

I did not read nearly as many books as I had hoped to last year.  I also didn't write down the ones that I did manage to read.  I made a cute page in my art journal for just that purpose and it ended up with like 2 books on it total.  Oh well.  New year.  New list of books.

My favorite book of 2015 was Wherever The River Runs  by Kelly Minter



I loved this book!  I love the way Kelly writes and how you feel like you are right there in the jungle with her.  It's far more that just a missionary story.  It's also how it affected Kelly when she came back to the states and how she was able to put her rediscovered love of Jesus into her life here and now.  And if you just read one book this year, THIS IS IT.



I always like to have some sort of meaningful or matching bookmark for each of my books.  For this one it was a Verse that Mallory had copied a couple of years ago and my favorite picture of Big Boy.

For this year, I'm still trying to come up with my book wish list.  But these are the ones I'm starting with.....

Flash by Rachel Anne Ridge



I can't remember where I learned about Flash.  But it sounded cute and I put it in my amazon cart for someday.  Then one day this week the UPS truck came and my man had a big smile on his face.  He bought it for me as a surprise!   It's a much lighter type of book than I usually read, I'm enjoying that so much.  Also, I had to make sure the donkey didn't die first.  I CAN NOT DEAL with an animal book where the dog dies at the end and I've fallen in love with him way back in chapter one.  No.  So to make sure I don't walk around the house crying for 2 days straight, I always have to make sure the animal is still alive and well at the last page.

I didn't have any donkey bookmarks so I made a silly one for fun.



The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People  by Stephen Covey

We recently moved a bookshelf into the house that was in the garage.  That meant a whole bunch of "new" books I hadn't seen in a long time.  This was one of them.  I read this book about 20+ years ago and Honey even went to a workshop that taught the Covey method.  I had forgotten how much I liked it until I started it again.  I'm about 1/2 through and this time I'm underlining and taking notes and coping quotes.

Here's one of my favorites:
"Reactive people build their emotional lives around the behavior of others, empowering the weaknesses of other people to control them.  Reactive people are driven by feelings, by circumstances, by conditions,by their environment.  Proactive people are driven by values-- carefully thought about, selected, and internalized values."

It's made me realize how reactive I am and how I want to make changes in that area.

My bookmark for this is just a plain white coffee filter that is folded in half.   WHY???  Why am I being so boring?  I don't even know.

Big Truths For Young Hearts is a book I'm starting with the kids next week during our morning meetings.

What Love Is by Kelly Minter is my new Bible study.  So far so good.

This is a short list that hopefully won't take very long.  So I need some more suggestions!  What was your favorite book of 2015?  What are you reading this year?  

4 comments:

Taleia said...

I'm reading "7: A Mutiny Against Excess" this month. You should read it too, I'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on it! :)

Meggy Riley said...

The coffee filter works...cuz coffee makes you highly effective!!

TaggTroop said...

Taleia, I got to read that last year and LOVED every word. It's so challenging! I was invited to a baby shower while I was in the middle of it and it was one of those showers where the mom already has absolutely everything in the world. There was so much excess and so much tissue paper and so much trash and so much wasted food and so much money spent! And all I could think of was how rich and spoiled we all are. That book messed me up for a good long while but I LOVED it all. It was one of those books that took me a long time to process and decide what I was going to do with all that knowledge and challenge. Hmmmm.....now I think I need to read it again.

So do you like it? What do you think?

Taleia said...

I'm only about half way through and it's a big read... I can tell I'm going to need to think about it a lot more. I have been thinking about how so much of the excess we generate is to replace real relationships, and that's humbling. I think it's going to be life changing! :)