Tuesday, July 17, 2012

What We're Eating This Week

So the other day there was a knock on the door. It was a salesman selling meat. He said he only delivers to ppl who have pre-ordered but some weren't home and he was trying to get rid of his remaining 4 cases. Then he went on to praise the freshness of his meat and bla bla bla. How come my man is never home when this kinda thing happens? But Jes was there and as soon as he pulled the meat from his freezer Jes was like a slobbering dog. "ooooohhhhh Mom that looks good!" This kid is a huge carnivore. Well it was a decent price. The meat did look good. And (surprise) I bought a case.

I know.

The next day I was telling Honey about it. It went something like this....Me: talk talk talk talk so maybe I can make it sound convincing to him too. Him: "Wha?? Did you really? Why? We hardly ever eat meat."

Then he looks online at door-to-door meat scams and guess what? The guy fit the bill perfectly right down to exactly what he said. And I bought it. BUT at least it did say something like the meat is still a good quality for a good price. So if that's the case, how come he had to lie about it??

Oh well. My man was very gracious about it remembering the time he bought a $48 bottle of spray cleaner in a similar situation. Yes, we're suckers.

So I guess you're thinking we're eating a lot of meat this week? Wrong. I'm not even sure how I'm going to cook these particular cuts. What was I thinking??

I finally got to play with my dehydrator. 
First :  Kale chips.  Gross.
Second:  Flax crackers.  Pretty good.  Not exactly what I was shooting for but still good enough to not pitch in the trash.  

Anybody have some good dehydrator recipes?  My next attempt will be a cauliflower pizza crust. 

Here's what we're eating this week.....

Today : Cereal
Tuna Sandwiches. Remember I said we were doing that for Monday lunch?  Well I also decided to teach my 8yo son to make it.  I'm gonna work on typing up a real recipe so I won't just have to stand over him telling him how.  I think he'll like this job.

Dinner - baked potatoes in the crockpot with veggies, cabbage stew, salad, and pineapple.

The cabbage stew was a new one.  Most of my crew that tasted it liked it so I'll be making it again.
Here's how it goes...

Chop 1 head of cabbage and 1 onion and  throw in the crock pot.  Pour 2 cups of tomato sauce and 2 cups of V8 over it with plenty of salt and pepper.  Cook for 4 hours. 

I have a cabbage story. 
Tonight we were watching Popeye on Netflix.  I didn't remember that any of my little kids had ever seen that before.  Apparently Nate had seen it at least once b/c when Popeye got in trouble he said, "Wait!  He needs his can of cabbage!" 

Anyhooo......

The rest of the week goes something like this...

Tuesday lunch - Veggie wheels with leftover cabbage
Dinner - pancakes, sausage, hashbrowns, eggs

Wednesday Dinner - Youth group.  Nachos and ice cream sundaes.

Thursday - Bean Burritos

Friday - Pizza

Saturday - I have no idea. 

Sunday - leftovers and snacks

Ok now be a good friend and leave me a comment about the time you bought something ridiculous from the salesman that lied to you.   Or at least tell me your tips for cooking up some fancy meat. 

13 comments:

Nana said...

Years and years ago I bought a 300.00 set of pots/pans. Well years and years ago I didnt even cook!!! Wasted hard earned money because I just cant say no to them. Now I just dont answer the door, or scream out...Our dogs bite!!

Anonymous said...

If you're making cauliflower anything in that dehydrator, we are sending it back....what happened to all the fruit that you'd dry up???????? And what about yummy food in it? I don't think drying something out that we don't like is going to be a big hit! :-)
Your honey (hopefully still!)

Taleia said...

I don't know how you feel about cooking with wine (if you don't feel comfortable using alcohol at all, just disregard this comment and please don't be offended!), but this recipe - http://www.indyscan.com/?p=1354 - makes the best. meat. ever. The meat doesn't have to be brisket, I use whatever cheap cut I can get my hands on, and I usually complete the first three steps, then throw it all in the crockpot on low for 8-10 hours. Or, if I'm prepping ahead, I'll put it in the crockpot overnight at step 4(instead of in a foil-lined baking dish) and continue cooking in the morning. So tender, so flavorful, so amazing!

Nana said...

Do dehydrated potatoes make potato chips??

Anonymous said...

Nope...styrofoam! ;-)
Mike.

Amanda said...

Once we bought a $2,000 vacuum cleaner from a door to door salesman. Fortunately, we were able to return it the next day when we came to our senses. :)

Amanda said...

Oh, and I must say I'm with Mike--dehydrated cauliflower sounds terrible! (But, then I don't like cauliflower to begin with...)

Anonymous said...

I've had people do that to me too cousin...I have a sign on the door now...It helps...I bought meat too...Funny that they would sell it to you of all people....I cooked mine...it was fine....I have a no sales people for any reason policy now...I don't answer the door for nobody unless they call and tell me first.....What to do with your meat? how about jerky? That's how they make it....by dehydrating it....all guys love jerky....season it and use it as a snack or a treat.

TaggTroop said...

Thank you Taleia! The only thing I cook with wine is spaghetti sauce so I think it's time to expand my horizons!

TaggTroop said...

Where's your sense of adventure?

TaggTroop said...

Haha! We did the same thing with encyclopedias once. What in the world would we do with a set of 20 year old encyclopedias now with the Internet?! And this was even before we had kids to educate. Sheeesh!

TaggTroop said...

Apparently I need one of those signs!

the momma said...

what kind of dehydrator did you get? Fun!
I'm adventurous, but I'm kinda with Mike ~ what good could possibly come from dried cauliflower? And I like cauliflower okay....

did you massage oil into your kale first? and parmesean (sp?) cheese? Several of my gang really like kale chips - BUT I've used the oven....

hoodwinked by solicitors? hmmm ~ I bought a broom once that ended up not being nearly as special as it's special price. But the worst one was some big matted pencil drawing prints of the Razorbacks the year the won the championship. There was apparently a key player or two missing. oops! Interestingly ~ both of these purchases were made at a small insurance office where I briefly worked. I guess I was a little more sure of myself in my own home. Or at least more in the habit of saying 'no'....