~Awana is over for the year. NONE of my 3rd graders finished their books or even came close, except Jes and that doesn't count b/c he really had no choice. I felt bad that I didn't give them any awards but honestly I couldn't think of anything award worthy of the year. And I especially felt bad that Caleb didn't even get an attendance award b/c he only missed once. But you can't really say "Perfect Attendance Except For That One Time That You Stayed Home To Play With Your Remote Control."
I don't feel like I accomplished as much with them this year. And when my own kids came on board something changed. It was like my family and my ministry collided and my interests were divided. I didn't feel as though I could freely give the same way when I had my own kids to think about/protect/cheer for/squeeze ketchup for/answer questions/etc.
I'm praying about how I can do it better next year. And for VBS.
VBS!! Right around the corner!
This year I'm teaching 3rd and 4th graders. I love love love VBS and the different atmosphere and the new
kids and the fresh opportunities. I'm hoping to see some familiar faces from previous years....and especially Big Boy who hasn't been around in awhile.
~Saturday Misty and I hosted a girl day with our youth teens. We went over this book, made pizzas, and had some good old fashioned girl talk.
~Then last night our youth group hosted dinner and a movie night for the adults in our church. They served BBQ along with the Courageous movie. The fellowship hall looked pretty and they did a fantastic job. They took it very seriously, stepped up, and behaved wonderfully. So proud of them!!
~Youth will continue through the summer on Wednesday nights. Since I'm always in Awana, I never get to join in on Wed night youth so I'm looking forward to that.
2 comments:
I would make up awards. the 'good attendance reward' (because every week but one is pretty GOOD, just not perfect) the 'you make me smile' award, the 'friend-making award' the 'never complains about snack award' - things like that. praise for any little show of character - affirmation is such an important thing to children. Well, to everyone, but especially children...
Honey, it's not really a reward if it isn't earned, right. If you just give things away, it diminishes it for those that legitimately earned theirs. The funny thing is, I recall the advice you gave me...treat them like you would your own kids. It's funny that you say Jes had no choice..,and he didn't count. He absolutely was the shining example of how to get it done. Maybe next year having weekly progress reminders and perhaps even weekly awards for doing their homework, so to speak...
Post a Comment