Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hard Thoughts To Reconcile

~My son read us a story about an Arab and a camel.  The camel was cold outside the tent and asked his master if he could just stick his head inside to warm up.  The Arab agreed.  The camel then asked if it would be ok if he put his neck in too.  The Arab agreed.  It was an awkward position for the camel so he asked permission to bring his front legs in too.  The Arab said "ok".  And since he was holding the door open and letting the cold in he asked if he could just come all the way in. 

But the tent was small and now way too crowded for both of them.   The camel told the Arab that since he was smaller it would be a good idea for him to stay outside the tent and let the camel have the whole thing!

The point of the story was how sin very slowly creeps into our lives. 
I've been thinking about this the last couple of days.  And how things start out small but grow huge and become such a habit that it seems impossible to break.  For me, I'd say it is impatient words/looks/attitude.
I catch myself getting irritated over tiny things that really don't matter. 

~As I was walking tonight I was noticing how beautiful my neighborhood is.  The lawns are manicured just so.  There are some huge fancy houses.  Big cars.  Nothing out of place or ugly.  Perfect looking on the outside I suppose.  Spoiled people living cushy lives.  That's me. 

But if I had it to do all over again it would not look like this.  I would've started out as a career missionary in a very poor country.  Married my same Tall, Dark, and Handsome and had all our 9 kids living far different lives than they do now. 

And yes, we are involved in ministry here.  But it's clean and neat.  And I kinda prefer messy. 
I'd miss my hot showers, my netbook, my iPhone, and 2-ply toilet paper but somehow I feel like life would be so FULL.  A world where there were fewer choices and nobody wasted good drinking water on grass. 

So I wonder...how do I bring the messy into my neat and perfect?   Or how do I give up the pristine for the cluttered?  How do you give up the American dream that most folks view as an entitlement?   That "entitlement" that could be better described as an entanglement.  The entanglement keeps feeding me lies that say it can't be done.  But I'm pretty sure it can.  I just don't know how yet. 

~Awana starts in only 4 more days.  Count them.  FOUR!  And I smile every time I think about it.  I wonder if I'll have any girls this time?   I wonder if Nick will come back this year?  And oh Lord, PLEASE bring the Moody kids back.   My girls will be with me again and I'm watching to see what my son's involvement might be. 

And just in case you forgot....here's a couple of my cuties.  Smart, funny, rowdy, and occasionally naughty.  Just the way I like 'em!


Precious souls entrusted to me for a short time.  And I'm praying for a way to impact them for eternity. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

its not wrong to be blessed as long as your love is for the blesser not the blessing itself. The humility that comes with knowing that nothing I have is about me, because of me, or for me, but for His glory.

Unknown said...

if you want life messy, you can come to my house, haha ;)
i am wavering between the feelings of worrying about how to pay for electric bills, water bills, and teh tire we need, and the feelings of guilt for worrying about those things when there are starving people in the world.
I wanna make a difference and yet am so preoccupied just getting by.
...entanglement is right!

Anonymous said...

I hear ya sweety...it's like the example where we continually get blessed, but aren't turning the blessings over. In other words, we get all these sweet gifts and it ends there. We are just receivers. I think part I the entanglement is that we think that the blessings are meant for us. They are not..they are meant for His glory. We just need to take a step and stop hoarding all the presents!

:-)
Ur Hunny...