Thursday, January 14, 2010

Perfect Peace

Last night I read a chapter in Worship Matters, by Bob Kauflin.  In chapter 2, the author speaks of a time when his heart was not right and the Lord brought it to his attention.  Instead of focusing solely on the Lord, he was focused on the praise of man.  He delighted in an audience of many, instead of an audience of One. 

Seeking glory for ourselves is taking glory from God.  It is idolatry.  As I thought about that last night and this morning, I realized how much I also fall into that trap.  The praise of man is tangible and measurable.   And when there is no praise, I wonder if I am really doing anything at all or if anybody even cares. 

This morning, the Lord gave me this verse...

"You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You. Trust in the Lord forever, for in the Lord, the Lord, is everlasting strength." Isaiah 26:3-4

In this chapter, Mr. Kauflin encourages his readers to search their hearts and ask themselves questions such as...
"Where does my mind drift to when I don't have anything to do?"
"What do I spend my money on?"
"What do I feel depressed without?"

Here's a couple I thought of...
"Are you embarrassed when your kid throws a fit at Walmart, or in front of your mother-in-law?"
"Do you care if ppl comment on your blog or your Facebook status?"
"How important is it that your kids look perfect on Sunday morning?"

There is no peace when we are thinking of ourselves.  But when our minds are stayed on God, and seeking His glory instead of our own, He promises perfect peace. 

I pray that He will bring me to the point of casting my cares aside, loving Him, and having a heart of worship. 

3 comments:

Carri Roman said...

SOOOOOOOOOOOOo good!!

Anonymous said...

I am right there with you my friend.
jodie

Laurie said...

Oh that was so good...just what I needed to hear at this moment...and I mean JUST the thing...

Thank you. Love you!

Laurie