Monday, October 23, 2006

I am reading Reflections of the Gospels by Vance Havner. Good book. Last week when I was reading it was talking about how Christians make themselves unattractive to the unbelieving world. He listed a few examples. One of the ways is by making our services so dreary and lifeless that there is no joy in them at all. When I read those words "dreary and lifeless" I thought of my own Bible time with the kids. It has gotten to the point where I just read and they just listen. Not a lot of pizzazz there. There aren't even many questions anymore.

I wanted that to change. I prayed to the Lord to give me something new....a new book, a new idea, a new spark, something. I looked through sales books but nothing really caught my eye.

We went to a garage sale this weekend. I found some clothes for Baby Girl and #3 got a Christmas present for his sister. I noticed on the side a box of books. They were a set of 12 hardback Bible story books that were brand new and unopened. They weren't necessarily childrens' books though, it looked as though they would appeal to any age. The price on the box was $50. That was way more than I could spend. Plus, I wanted to look at them but didn't want to ask to open the unopened books. The guy came over and told me a little about them and said that he would take $25 without my even asking! Even though it was a good deal, it was still money I didn't have.

#2 and I ran an errand later in the day and she wanted to stop by the g-sale too. I took her by there and those books were still there. The guy came up to me and said I could have them for 50 cents a piece! I couldn't pass up a deal like that! I was so excited as we carried them home.

They are far more than I expected. Once I opened them I saw that they are perfectly age appropriate for all my older kids. They have beautiful pictures scattered throughout and it even came with a 4 year reading plan. It includes a lot of Bible history as well as missionaries. KJV Scripture is throughout every chapter.

We started the first one this morning and my kids asked me to read more. There's the spark I was hoping for! Thank you Lord for providing just the right thing!!

No comments: