Thursday, October 17, 2013

What I'm Loving This Week

~So remember we talked about the clothes exchange?  Yesterday I finished another box and unpacked a bunch of boys' clothes that will make my guys look simply dashing.  It's almost like Christmas... unpacking and remembering the clothes that they wore to this or that last year.  And then seeing what they've outgrown that their brother can wear this year.  That's the part of it that I love.

And I am blown away at the abundance.  Just the other day I got a familiar big family comment.  It alluded to the fact that we must be rich since we can afford so many kids.   But as I sort through clothes, it's always a reminder of God's provision.  People are very generous when they learn you have a big family and many of those clothes are hand-me-downs.  The rest were bought at the thrift store on 50% off day.  Rarely would any of my kids wear a complete outfit that cost more than $10.  And they just keep getting passed down until they are outgrown and I can share them with someone else.

For the most part my boys are very gentle on their clothes.  It's my youngest daughter that's the problem!  No one will want her clothes when she's finished with them!

~Have we talked about kale?  Not only is it a super food that's packed with nutrients, but it's super easy to grow and very hardy.  We planted kale back in April and it is still going strong even after a transplant.  I'm the only one that's a huge fan of kale around here but my family is tolerant as long as it's not the feature presentation.  I put it in smoothies and salads mostly but I'm wanting to try more ways of cooking it too.

~I can not believe there are only a few more games of football.  This has been an outstanding experience and I am so grateful for the school and this town that have made us feel so welcome.  I'm still having strangers tell me what a great kicker we have and still people introducing themselves to me around town.  My boys are happy and meeting some neat friends and getting a ton of exercise!
LOVE.

~One of the things I'm looking forward to these days is Leslie's series on BALANCE.  She is posting every day on how she is able to stay balanced as a homeschool mom of 3 little girls.   Leslie is super organized and inspires me to look around and figure out what I can label.  It's been fun to see how she is balancing her first year of homeschooling with her oldest.  Even if you don't homeschool, I think you'll like her beautiful pictures of her family and home.

~Do you need a fun book to read with your kids?  Hank The Cow Dog is our fave.  I don't think our little girls would've fallen in love with Hank without the influence of their brothers.  But something about a house full of boys makes things funnier.  Right now we are reading Let Sleeping Dogs Lie.
So far it's my favorite, but I think I say that about every one of them.

~Jess and Birdy and I picked about 15 pounds of apples from our neighbor's tree.  Then my Azure Standard order came in and I got 20 more pounds.  LOVE apple season!  So this week we will be appling everything.

~And speaking of love.  I've been reviewing 1 Cor 13:4-8.  God has been talking to me about the words of my mouth lately and it all starts from the heart.  Francis Chan suggests that you read through that list and insert your name in the place of love.  Like ______ is patient, ________ is kind.   And it's not long before you feel like a liar.  So this passage plus Philippians 4 is what I'm loving right now.
Loving God and loving others with my thoughts, and words, and attitudes.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Thanks, Sandy!

We, too, have jumped on the Kale wagon. No...I'm not growing it...yet. Graham would love to get into gardening, but I've got a black thumb.