Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Why I Don't Mop And Go To The Library


~Here's how the day started.  I slept in.    Maybe b/c of what I ate yesterday, maybe hormones, maybe weather, maybe getting up in the night with a sick kid.  Who knows.  And it doesn't matter.  I slept in and made all the kids get their own breakfast.

But it turns out we had a terrific school day with good attitudes and hard workers even though our late start meant the loss of PE time.  Thank you kids!!  And grammar has been hilarious.  We use a program called Easy Grammar and I use it for 5 kids at the same time.  I write 10 -12 sentences on the white board and each kid gets to pick a sentence and label the parts of speech.  But if they get stuck someone else can steal it and get the next sentence as well.  It's fierce competition with lots of shouting, laughing,   and high fives.  And even my littlest is pretty preposition savvy because he desperately wants the steal.

~I tried and tried to think of a way to go grocery shopping.  First because it's pay day.  And second because we are down to a bag of grapes, 3 pickles, and a 1/2 jar of mustard.  It's time y'all.

Problem was that we were short a car because the kids' car was in the shop.  We are thankful for this car because it gets you (or them) where you're going.  But it hasn't been such a friendly ride.  Its one of those cars that has random warning lights pop on while the dash lights barely work at all, you have to keep a knife in the glove box in case the seat belt won't work, and you need to put it in neutral at red lights so it won't die.

So grocery shopping wouldn't work out and my kids got to practice patience in dealing with the lunch fare.  But the good news is that this fix was only $69 to hopefully stop the dying problem.  The lights and seat belt issue can wait.  And now we are back in business.

~I have a confession.  I haven't mopped my kitchen floor in a week.  It's all because the boys' potty overflowed all over the floor and we used the mop to clean it up.  So then I had to throw that mop head away because OF COURSE!  And  I couldn't go grocery shopping and get another one.  So tomorrow...well the list is getting longer.

~September was "Food For Fines" month at the Charleston library.
I haven't been able to show my face in there for some time due to this unreasonable rule they have about returning books when you check them out.  And I don't know exactly how much my fines were but my son was guessing in the $40 range.  Somehow I doubt it but I couldn't be sure.  So all month long I was planning to take in a bag of food and hand over my library card.  Or more like I was going to have my son do it because a part of me was worried that they'd just keep my card and revoke all my privileges because of the last Hank The Cowdog book.   All month long I forgot until last night about 5:30 and a few minutes before they closed.   I swung in at the last minute and I am proud to say that
my card is all clear and I can freely check out any of the 27 books lined up against the wall.   I'm guessing the library will consider canceling their Food For Fines program since I moved to town.

No comments: