Thursday, December 06, 2012

Those Tricky Hearts

Awana last night was great as ever. 

My own kids were doing Christmas play practice so I only had my Awana kids in class.  Honestly, that's usually the way I like it.  But last night I was wishing they had been in there.  There was a great lesson to be learned. 

We went around the table and answered 2 questions. 

1.  What was your favorite thing in your day?
2.  What do we need to pray about?

The favorite things were silly and funny and a couple of my guys said coming to church tonight was their favorite thing.  I (heart) them. 

Last week we mostly prayed about grades, but this week it seemed most boys had a family member to pray for. 

Jayden has been to class a couple of times and I was glad to see him back last night.  He's a good boy and fits right in.  When it was his turn, he asked for prayer that his dad would get out of jail soon. 
I asked for a show of hands to see whose dad was in jail.  Half.

4 of the 8 boys in my class has a dad in jail. 

But here's where we made the hard stop.
Hayden says, "I hope my dad doesn't get out of jail.  He's mean and I hate him." 

I saw my chance on jumped on it.  We all make mistakes.  There is none of us who are perfect and never sins.  We've talked a lot about that so they are familiar with it.  Jesus came to take the punishment for sins....and our dads' sins and God is in the business of forgiveness.  We also need to forgive. 

As far as memory work went, they were mostly divided into 2 groups.  One group was memorizing the books of the Bible.  And is it any wonder that the other group was working on Jeremiah 17:9 ...
"The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure, who can understand it?'

No comments: