Monday, December 17, 2012

John 14

20 precious lives stolen in minutes.  Heart broken families, a stunned and horrified nation.

Oh God.  It is too much.

I am trying to understand (and help my kids understand) the tragedy and injustice of it all.  I weep for these families and can't get the news coverage pictures out of my mind.  The fact that I have a child that age doesn't help.  I think about how they started the day so normal, never suspecting in their wildest dreams that they'd never see their baby again.  And I've prayed that our all-knowing God blessed them with a good and loving morning before they went to school.  Why them?  It could've been mine. I'm just so sad for them.

How much longer can this go on?  When Lord?  When will You return?  When can this be done?

 But God, in His goodness, has helped me line it up with Scripture.  My regular daily reading was John 14.  I was stunned at how fitting it was.

"Let not your hearts be troubled.  Believe in God; believe also in me."  John 14:1

There is so much in this world to trouble our hearts whether it be a lunatic murdering precious children, hurting loved ones, or a busted washing machine.

But, "Let not your hearts be troubled" is not your lame think-positive-and-be-happy approach to life.  Jesus tell us exactly where to turn our hearts instead.

"Believe in God; believe also in me."
But don't the demons believe and shudder?  My commentary tells me that this particular usage of believe denotes a personal and relational trust.

This Genesis 3 world will never lend itself to an option of trusting in our circumstances, ourselves, or other people.  Things won't get better when fill in the blank.  Until the Lord returns, we will always deal with disease, loss, disaster, and sin.

Praise be to God that this is not all there is!

"In my Father's house are many rooms.  If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you?  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also."  John 14:2-3

An eternal home of joy, worship, peace prepared for the redeemed who call upon The Way, The Truth, and The Life, our Lord Jesus Christ.

"Because I live, you also will live."  V. 19  (Those little ones are safe in the arms of Jesus.)

And in the meantime, the Father has given us the Holy Spirit (V 26).  God Himself, teaching us the good and helping us remember the right way.  Whenever I would struggle with something, my friend Van used to say, "I trust the Holy Spirit in you to make a good decision."  Such wisdom.

"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you.  Not as the world gives do I give to you.  V.27
In this fallen world we will never be free from despair.  But the Prince of Peace has offered Himself so that we have the blessing of a right standing with the Father and an eternal home prepared for us.

"Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid."  John 14:27


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to hear Gene say those verses all the time....I often wonder when is Christ coming back? How much longer can this go on?
Makes me sad....alot.