Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Friends!

I want to introduce you to my new friends.  2 of the most precious little boys I've ever met are in my VBS class.  I'm convinced they would fit it just perfectly with my own precious ones, but I'm guessing their mommas won't part with them so easily. 

BigBoy is 7.  That is what everyone calls him, how he introduces himself, and even the name he writes on his papers.  He has one eye and a gorgeous smile.  He lives in an apartment behind the church with 5 sisters and a brother.  His parents are divorced.  BigBoy is all smiles and is quick to participate, raise his hand, sing songs, and listen for the next thing.  He is thankful for anything given to him and so far I haven't heard him complain or fuss about anything.  I really love this boy! 

Today I met his sister.  She is 8 and in the VBS class ahead of mine.  We meet all together for the closing ceremonies and when they saw each other they ran to sit together.   I sat behind them to meet his sister.  She puts her arm around him and smiles at me, "This is my brother."  With her other hand, she is holding his hand.  I look at her and say, "You look like good friends."  She says, "Nah, I'm his SISTER!  And I love him.  I especially love his chubby cheeks."  Then she sat and pinched them while BigBoy smiled. 

He stole my heart yesterday and I wondered about him.  About his family life, about whether he was teased at school b/c of his eye, about the place he lives.  And meeting his sister today and seeing how much he is loved by this little 8yo girl made me cry. 

And then there is MJ.  I call him Chicken b/c that's his favorite food and that's what we do in my class.  (You're not surprised are you?)  But Chicken looks a LOT like my own little 6yo.  And I mean a LOT.  So much that Meg was wondering how we're not related to him.   Not only that but he also talks like Mayfee and has very similar mannerisms.  He's quiet and good and happy and funny.  No wonder I love him!  Yep, he's a fave and my special pet.  He lives in the same apartments as BigBoy and goes to the same school.  I hope they are in the same class next year. 

Chicken didn't have a Bible.  My daughter hunted one down for him in the church and Pastor Geo told him to take it home and bring it back tomorrow and he'd give him one of his own.  Oh Chicken was SOOO proud of that Bible and carried it with him and kept it right beside him the whole time.  He brought it back today and Geo gave him his own.  Happy Boy!  And how I pray for the Lord to bless him with the Word. 

Thank you God for my new friends!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing when God puts other kids on your heart. I remember when Austin was in 3rd grade, I taught his Sunday School class and 2 little boys came on the church bus and were in our class. Never met their parents, but I prayed alot for them. Even to this day I think about them from time to time and pray for them. They would be 17 and 18; Austin's age. I led one of them to the Lord. I just hope that he is still following Jesus. What a blessing to participate in VBS!
Sharon B.