BigBoy didn't come to VBS today. The church tried to call his house but the phone had been shut off.
I found out which apt he lived in and went over after VBS was finished. We walked up to his door and I saw BigBoy right away. Big ol' pretty smile that baby has! 2 sisters are there and I asked to meet his parents. The apt is tiny, dirty, with no air conditioning. The mom and dad come out from the back and are very nice. I introduce myself and dote on my BigBoy to them.
By now the other VBS kiddos are there including Chicken. I walk across the way to meet Chicken's family too. A treat for me to see where they are living.
It turns out that BigBoy couldn't come to VBS today b/c his family is moving tomorrow. They can't afford this apt and they are moving in with cousins.
I hug my little boys and head home fighting back tears the whole way.
My family is planning to eat dinner at church tonight and I wonder what BigBoy is eating. Hey, it's a long shot...but maybe just maybe his momma would let me take him to the feast? Ya think? Doesn't hurt to ask.
So I head back out in the afternoon and swing by the apts. I'm a bit apprehensive this time wondering how his parents will take to two unannounced visits in the same day from "the church lady" (as his sister called me).
Sister opened the door and I quickly stated my business while asking BigBoy if he'd like that. She went off to ask b/c the parents were in the back.
"She said yes."
I wanted to make sure that Momma understood so I told Sister that BigBoy was going to ride in the car with me, we were going to a completely different church, and he wouldn't be home until much later. Please go ask again. And off she goes.
Momma comes to the door and I'm relieved to get to state my intentions face-to-face so there is no misunderstanding. Oh yes, she likes the idea! BigBoy runs off to get dressed flashing that pretty smile.
I talk to Momma and ask some questions about the move. Daddy doesn't work. She only gets 20 hours at the daycare. She's waiting on a settlement. They need $400 to move into an apt but that would take 4 weeks to earn that much extra money. They are moving in with cousins who have 4 kids.
Helpless I am. But happy I can feed the boy at least.
BigBoy is ready to go and I notice that Sister #1 has her shoes on and is on the porch. Momma turns to Sister #2 to ask if she wants to go too. Oh yes she does and gets her shoes.
Not at all what I was expecting. And how did that happen anyway?
I have 3 kiddos in the back seat. A 7yo little boy and his 10yo and 9yo sisters. We go home to meet some new friends and have a wonderful couple of hours getting to know each other, building legos, and loving the kitchen set toys. Really nice kids!
They enjoyed dinner and each of them had 2nd helpings.
They wanted to stay. They wanted to spend the night. They wanted to come back tomorrow. But all I could offer was a morning pickup for VBS.
We dropped them off and walked them to the door. Momma's at work. Daddy's watching tv and he says they'll be ready in the morning. I'm fighting back the tears that can now flow freely as I type.
I'm guessing tomorrow's it. They'll be gone after VBS to the cousin's house which is who-knows-where. They don't have a phone. Will there be a church over there that will reach out to them? Momma and Daddy don't go. They'll need a ride. They don't have a phone. And he obviously won't be in Chicken's 2nd grade class.
I'm hurting for my BigBoy but the Lord spoke to my heart and said, "I'm his provider. I take care of him."
But I'm so sad.
3 comments:
Oh but the seeds you have planted, Sandy! Maybe the impressions you have given them of 'church people' and VBS will have them asking their mom if they can go to church when they get to where they are going. I am sorry for your hurting, but your tender heart is an inspiration. Thank you for being His hands and feet...
Welcome to 'apartment ministry' my friend.
Give them your number; they just may surprise you with a phone call sometime.
I'm sorry Miss Sandy, I know how you feel. Love him while you can and leave him in God's hands when you can't.
And pray for him too.
i have some of 'my kids' I've lost track of, but they cross my mind and I pray and I know that God can see them whereever they are and hear my prayers where I am, and all I can do is trust those prayers won't be in vain.
<3
~Lana
Post a Comment