At my husband's request I'm listening to a new book on my iPod, Don't Waste Your Life by John Piper.
I wish I could write out a thorough review of this book but my best attempt will be only a drop in a bucket. It is one of those that makes you stop and think and reevaluate your current lifestyle.
Piper speaks of a life that glorifies God rather than serves yourself - or (gasp!) only your family. What does that mean? And what does that look like? He takes it beyond the pretty sounding church words to explain how a believer can shift the focus of his life.
It is loaded with Scripture and also quotes from historical minds such as Jonathan Edwards and CS Lewis.
It is piercing and difficult and that's what makes it good. It has caused me to examine my choices carefully in light of what brings honor to my Savior vs. comfort to myself.
One of my favorite lines goes something like this... "There is an old saying that no one will ever say on their deathbed that they wish they had spent more time at the office. Along the same lines, no one will say, "I wish I had spent more time watching TV with my family."
Here I go recommending a book and I haven't even finished it! Unfortunately I'm not a very good listener. I'm much better at feasting my eyes on the written word, underlining and note taking along the way. Consequently, it has taken me a long time to finish and I have nothing tangible to refer back to. (Another thing to add to my Amazon cart!) Listening to it is not enough. This will be one that I'll pull out and pour over again and again.
1 comment:
Oh Eddie and I read that book together but her would have to reread things to me. he is so deep and so good. I don't think we ever finished the whole thing.
Post a Comment