Thursday, January 10, 2008

Menus

After struggling for years (literally) I think I've finally learned to menu. I don't know why this is so hard but it is. And I know it's not just me cause my friends have issues with this as well. When I finally figured it out, there was such a freedom in not having to think about that one thing again. Here is what works for me.....

~ I'm working on seasonal menus. Winter menus where I can use my oven as much as I like, and summer menus with colder meals and less cooking.

~I've divided my menus into "mostly beef" or "mostly chicken". This is to try to save money when one is on sale or when I have beef from my parents. So now my menus are labeled "Winter Beef".

~I'm making new ones and keeping old ones so when I don't have time to make a new one (or don't feel like it), I can pull out an old faithful. I have a section in my cookbook just for menus so I always have a place to put them and know where they are.

~When making a menu I start by asking everyone what they want to eat next week. They are usually simple requests. This week my son asked for spaghetti and my daughter decided on all her b-day meals. This gives me a good place to start.

~I check the ads and try to plan around stuff that is on sale. I don't find this to be all that helpful though b/c most of the sale stuff I use is produce.

~I check to see what I already have and plan from that. I actually plan around what I don't have. For instance, if I'm almost out of tuna then I'll plan some tuna dish. I'll buy enough tuna for what I need plus extra for the pantry. This usually keeps me from completely running out of too much. It gives me something to work with if I can't get to the store when I want.

~I get out my notebook paper, pen, and cookbook. I look at anything new that I want to try and add that to my list.

~I try to plan at least 7 days' worth of breakfast, lunch, tea, and dinner. I use my cookbook and browse through those sections

~I decide on each meal and write it all down. Then I work on a grocery list to go with that menu.

~I put the list and menu together and put them both in a page protector. I will keep out my current menu to work from all week. After that it goes in the menu section of my cookbook.

Making menus is NOT something I enjoy. I don't like it at all. But I love that feeling of having it done and knowing what is for dinner. It ends up being a big time saver for me in the long run.

1 comment:

Shawna said...

Ugh. Menu planning. You are right on, it is hard. Or perhaps it is just overwhelming to me. Right now we are using free weekly menus from menus for moms, but there are so many things on there that I need to change every week. I do like the grocery list though.