Sunday, November 05, 2006

A Word in Jeremiah

I've studied my Bible in different ways. One year I read through it chronologically. Actually it took me two years to finish. My favorite way is to take it one book at a time, reading and taking notes with a commentary.
J Vernon McGee is my favorite.

Now I'm in the book of Jeremiah. I don't have the commentary though so I just pray that the Holy Spirit will be my guide. Today I learned something neat.

Jeremiah 25-30 is a great section on how God disciplined the Israelites and is a good practical example to me of how I should discipline my own kids.

First He was very patient with them giving them opportunity to change. When they didn't, he issued the discipline of captivity to Babylon. But it doesn't stop there. In Jer 29 He tells them how to behave when they are in captivity...."Build houses and settle down, plant gardens....." It reminds me of the speech I've sometimes had to give about how to sit in the corner or get ready for a spanking.

Later in chapter 30 (the one I read today) He encourages them telling them it will not last forever but that it was needed. "I will discipline you but only with justice; I will not let you go entirely unpunished." And then He reminds them of the reason for the discipline.

Here's my favorite verse. Jer 30:24 "In days to come you will understand this. " When my older kids were little I did not require so much of them, thinking they were too little to understand and be expected to obey much. I was so wrong! As I learned and had more kids, I learned how to train them early and teach them (and me) that they can obey at a very early age. There have been times when we've had guests that thought we were mean to make our baby sit in the high chair or to not scream a fit. I've learned that even if they don't understand all that I ask of them at first, if I keep working with them in time they will understand and try to obey.

I don't know if that would've been in the commentary or not. But I thought it was a neat way to apply it in a practical way.

No comments: