Today we went shoe box shopping. Ever since my older kids were little we've done the Samaritan's Purse shoe boxes at Christmas. If you're not familiar with it, it is a christian organization that collects shoe boxes full of gifts for children and delivers them to underprivledged countries with the gospel message. My kids love participating and I think it's one of the highlights of their holiday season. They've saved their money and today we took all our shoe boxes to the dollar store to fill them up.
This year 4yo and 5yo got to do one too. What fun they had picking plastic snakes and bouncing balls and all kinds of little boy toys for some little boy that they don't know. Their favorite is the elephant mask. 14yo did two boxes this year...one for a girl and one for a boy. They brought them home and rearranged them half a dozen times. Tomorrow we'll take them to church.
Our library is collecting food through the month of Dec. We go every week to story time and I'm letting each little boy take one food item every time. I picked several things from the pantry, lined them up on the island and let them pick. Decisions, decisions..It was great fun for them to drop their stuff into the big box.
I've enjoyed this time of teaching them to share with others in a different way. The holidays are so good for that. I'm thankful for these great organizations. Hopefully they will catch on to the idea of it is better to give than receive.
No comments:
Post a Comment