I'm been thinking more about my experience at Sams yesterday and I thought I would type out this little story.
When my older kids were little my neighbor's son, David, was mowing our yard. My kids were watching from the window. When David was finished he started to sweep the walkway. My kids called me to the window and asked me why David was doing that. I explained that David was doing "the whole job" and told them all about what that meant.
The next day, 4 year old Laney was playing in the living room when I asked her to pick up the books that were lying on the floor. Much time passed when I went back into the living room and found her still working on that same job. I asked her what she was doing and why this was taking so long. She replied "I'm doing a 'David job'". She was straightening the whole bookcase!
It stuck. Ever since then when someone goes the extra mile we call it 'a David job'.
This morning I walked in on 4 year old Joshua making my bed! What a sweetheart. He was working hard with the heavy blankets and many pillows to bless his Momma. He put every throw pillow right where it went the same way that I do it.
Laney stayed home with me today. We worked together. I had a big list of several things that needed to be done around the house. These were not light jobs. I am working in the kitchen with her as she is sweeping and mopping. When she mops, there is something gross stuck on the floor that is not coming up with the mop. She stops, gets a scraper, and scrapes it up. She mops another area and notices that she did not do a good job sweeping. She stops, re-sweeps, and mops.
These little things make my mother-heart sing for joy! I hope my kids will always strive to do a David job.
No comments:
Post a Comment