Thursday, October 27, 2011

Philippians 4:5

"Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice.  Let your gentleness be known to all."  Phil 4:4-5

This is the verse I've been thinking on the last couple of days.  And for good reason!  Instead of setting my thoughts on those things that are "true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise" (v. 8) I have been griping about dwelling on everything that rubs me the wrong way. 

Instead of being thankful for the opportunities I have to correct my kids and teach them the right way, I get discouraged b/c they don't already know it.  Instead of looking forward to another day to get to be together for school, I dread the work and wonder what other moms get to do all day.  Instead of loving on my sweet and faithful man, I pick on the way he does things.  And instead of rejoicing over the abundance of food in my kitchen, I moan over the work involved to feed so many ppl. 

My gentleness is certainly not known to all.  More like my abrasiveness.  The ESV reads "reasonableness" and I'm not that either. 

So today I'm praying for the Lord to give me His perspective, to open my eyes to see the good, to open my mouth in praise and encouragement, to help me to give thanks in all circumstances knowing that it is all working together for good. 

And I want to smile.  At my kids.  At my man.  At everyone I get to see today. 
It's a perfectly beautiful storm outside and wonderfully peaceful in my house.   Quiet and still.
We're going shoebox shopping...the kickoff of our Christmas traditions.
We're going to love on some friends at a funeral and take supper over later.
I get to buy my tall dark and handsome a tie. 
I hope to get to call my dad.

And I get to spend the day with the people I love the most.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing.