The day started out with Mr. R giving a demonstration where he dimmed the lights, lit a candle, let it burn awhile, then blew it out. He had the kids write down the steps and retell it. Then to everyone's surprise, he took a bite out of the candle! Turns out it wasn't a candle at all, but a potato with a pecan on top. (Pecans contain oil that burns.) He then gave a brief but appropriate lesson on deception and how Satan loves to deceive us.
The judges were wonderful! They seemed genuinely interested in each child's work and took plenty of time with each one.
Optical Illusions....
This is what CT and Lane worked on together after his plasma idea didn't work out. With only 3 entries, they brought in 3rd place.
Jes and Nate talking to the judge....
All the K-2 kids got ribbons so they all think they won 1st place. Cute!
Misunderstandings, tears, disappointments....
One of my kids had a hard time talking to the judges. This was a huge surprise to me because I've always thought him to be able to converse well with adults. We had practiced at home and I felt sure that he understood what was expected of him. But when the time came and questions were asked that he did not expect, he was flustered.
And just when I said I'd never do it again, I've decided that we should. When something is hard, that means you need more practice right? I don't want to set an example of giving up just b/c it's painful. And I'm especially thankful for all the "extras" that the Lord showed us through doing this.
Sooo, we're already thinking about what to do next year.....




No comments:
Post a Comment