It's true.
It was back in the day about 19 years ago. It was just Honey and me with our grand ideas and our little puppy dog. We were sure we had it pretty much figured out and when we heard somebody's child screaming a fit in a restaurant we'd give each other the knowing look that said, "OUR kids will never act like that."
Then something changed.
The most beautiful baby girl was born into the world...and she was ours. Well here we go, right?
But no. She wouldn't sleep through the night. She cried for no reason. One of her first words was, "NO".
And she only wanted to eat macaroni and cheese.
It escalated from there as each of her precious siblings were born. They all came into the world with their own distinct opinions about things. Weird.
And then there were potty training show downs, sibling squabbles, melt downs, food fights, and toddler tantrums. Oh, and what about that time that my daughter had to be carried out of Walmart b/c she was throwing such a fit and stamping her little feet so hard that we weren't making any progress through the parking lot? And over what? A plastic pair of safety sissors.
This parenting thing is harder than we thought.
Everyday I am reminded that the longer I'm a mom, the less I have it figured out. There is always something new. Something I didn't consider. Something I didn't plan for. And I don't know the right thing to do.
The good news is that although I'm no longer the perfect mom, my kids do have a perfect Father. And so do I. And every day He is waiting eagerly to bestow His blessings on me when I ask. And boy do I ask! I ask for wisdom, patience, forgiveness, gentleness, and grace.
"I know that nothing good lives in me." Rom 7:18
Grace like rain. "It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy." Rom 9:16
And I am free! Free from having to know it all. Or pretend that I do. Free to walk in perfect counsel without fear.
And when pride rears it's ugly head, I have only to roll out of bed and be greeted by the nine sweet faces that God has used to humble me.
Perfection is overrated.