Sunday, February 14, 2010

Potatoes Anyone?

Friday was my shopping day.  I think it was my best shopping day since this summer.  Lots of good coupon deals at Walmart and I even scored 2 freebies....a bag of oreos and a razor!  

I have to confess that I did go a bit over budget buying up potatoes.  5# for $1 ad matched at WM and I couldn't pass them up.  Actually I'll probably go back for more before the sale ends.  I'll just have to be careful with the rest of the grocery money. 

So what's on the menu for the next several weeks?  You guessed it. 

Oven fries, mashed potatoes, scalloped potatoes, baked potatoes, hashbrowns, potato soup... you name it. 
Last night I diced up a couple to mix in with our taco meat just to help it go a bit farther.   

Anybody have good potato recipes to share with me?

7 comments:

emilyj said...

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/perfect-potatoes-au-gratin/

That recipe will blow you away. Super yummy and fatening.

Unknown said...

Where are they ad matched from? I need to go buy some :)

TaggTroop said...

Thanks Emily, I'll check it out.

Lana,
I think it's CVs. But at WM they usually don't ask anyway.

Amy said...

I make potato cheese soup a lot b/c it's one of Ben's favorite things I make. I make it go further with onions, carrots, and celery. Dee-lish. And filling. My favorite potato dish is something my dad made every camping trip. We call it Rocky Mountain potatoes, you should like that! We cooked potatoes in the coals of the fire overnight then dice them, fry up some bacon (I leave out that part for me!!), crumble it up and throw in the potatoes, onions, cheese, salt/pepper/whatever else you want, and top with green onions. YUM!

Carri Roman said...

Breakfast potatoes! Small diced potatoes stirred in a skillet with onions and lots of pepper and salt Cook with the lid on until soft then browned after they soften. Add cooked sausage and wrap into a burrito size tortilla. Yummy and filling!

Carri Roman said...

Oh yea, dont' forget to grate some cheese with it!

Ren said...

Sandy..This is a family recipe from Ireland. We love it..I have made them in large amounts and froze them just reheat when you are ready for them.

1 T flour per cup of grated potato
1 egg per cup of grated potato
1 onion grated ( I finely chop mine) per 2 1/2 cups of potato
pinch of salt/pepper/garlic salt

mix together by hand, pour out pancake size on hot griddle and cook til slightly brown on each side.

I know you'll love these.
Darinda