~I've adopted Tracy's 30 second rule. "If it takes less than 30 seconds, do it now." And I added, "Do it yourself." But, true to my nature, I've taken it to the extreme. So I find myself evaluating just exactly how long everything will take. It takes less than 30 seconds to put away the brown sugar. But that pile of folded laundry on my dresser? Well surely that'll take longer than 30 seconds so I better just leave it there.
~Mail Day Wednesday. This is something I've tried in the past but have not been diligent to stick with it. Everyone loves getting something in the mailbox that is special for them. My goal is to have my kids (and me) write a note to someone to bless them once a week. This starts with each person making a list of people that would like to hear from them. As something neat or funny happens in the week, you can choose who on your list would enjoy hearing about it. Mom checks the rough draft. A final copy is made. The envelope is carefully addressed (with help if needed) and taken to the mailbox to raise the red flag.
~My friend, Andie, helped me to see that I was not utilizing the library w/my older children as I should. My little kids love story time and the small library by my house is quite charming. So Wed is library day. While my little ones are at story time, my big ones will be working on research projects. This week's projects....
*Write a synopsis of each of the three Punic Wars.
*In the Apocrypha, look up 1 Maccabees 4:52-59 & 11 Maccabees 10:6 to follow the story of Hanukkah.
*Historical map work - Find Carthage, Find the boundaries of the Han dynasty, Mark the route of the Silk Road.
I am trying to be careful to keep my expectations in check on this one!
~This is not really new as we've been doing it for a few weeks now. But I wanted to give it a good try before I blogged about it. This site explains our new memorization program. It's cheap, homemade, versatile, and easy to follow.
This week's Scripture is Psalm 51:10-12... "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit with in me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me."
~I would like to have some sort of play day once a week....depending on how the week goes. Lately that's been easy as my older kids are paired up with friends to do a writing project for their Creative Writing class. This, of course, would be dependent on how diligently we worked on school and how many other things were going on in the week. This week we are doing a field trip with our homeschool group.
~Honey used to come home every day for lunch when we lived in CO. Now that we're back, he can't do that....and we miss him. So Friday is lunch with Dad day. The kids love taking their lunch boxes out!
~Since we've moved, our regular tea time has fallen by the wayside. We are working to resurrect our afternoon tea. This takes planning but it's worth it.
Today's tea.... blueberry muffins that Meg made for us last night. Thank you Sweetie!!
~My final new experiment is to try to have breakfast foods made the night before. This always saves time in the morning but I'm usually tired at night and not in the mood to cook anymore. Again, planning comes into play as I'll need to work on this earlier in the day.
Anything new at your house?
3 comments:
We've adopted two dogs from the animal shelter. Lots of new pet hair and mud everywhere. But on a positive note, the kids love them. The dogs are sweet and they are entertaining to watch! Good to hear an update!
WOW Emily that's big!
What kind of dogs are they?
WOW Emily that's big!
What kind of dogs are they?
Post a Comment