Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My New Organizational Tool

At our house we hate putting away clean laundry. Everyone is responsible for putting away their own clothes plus their little buddy's. I think Christian and I dislike it more than anyone else. We do laundry throughout the day and as soon as I put away my stack it seems that there is another stack right behind it!

I went to Walmart and bought everyone their own laundry basket and put their name on it. For the little kids with little clothes I found small baskets at the dollar store. In the morning we line up all the baskets in birth order in the parlor...that is where we fold all the clothes. Throughout the day we fill the baskets with clean clothes as well as whatever else is lying around that belongs to someone else....shoes, toys, etc.

Around 4pm we straighten up the house before Mike comes home. At that time everyone takes their own basket, plus their little buddy's, and puts away whatever is in them. They are responsible for making sure their basket and little buddy's basket gets back up to the laundry room for tomorrow. Since they have names on them it's easy to tell who forgot!!

The first day of the new system didn't go so well. There were baskets everywhere! It took some fine tuning but I think we all got it now. Of course there are still baskets out all day but they are lined up neatly and don't look so disorganized. Also there are not stray socks or 9 different piles of clothes all over the room. The house is also neater b/c there is a central place to dump daily clutter. The best thing is that we only have to put away laundry once!! Christian and I really like that one!

1 comment:

Shawna said...

I am so going to buy baskets next week! I love this idea!