Baby 3 had court this week. His ad litem could not make it and there were 3 in his place. After much whispering in the court room plus a recess, the judge decided to postpone until next month.
Mom has done pretty much everything necessary and it looks as though the next step is showing stability. Case Worker thinks she'll get 3 more months to prove she can keep her job and show herself reliable. Talking with mom in the waiting area, she thought the judge was going to award weekend visits. I'm sure she was disappointed.
I'm still unsure if Baby's case is liked to his brothers'. CW was trying to separate them. I really hope mom doesn't get all 3 back at the same time, even if only for weekends.
DNA testing was ordered and a staffing before next court. It all took about 5 minutes after the recess and it was over.
I asked CW about the smoking. Mom smokes. It's obvious. And if foster parents have to sign all kinds of stuff saying we don't smoke AND we won't have baby around smoke, then won't DHS have something to say about a mom who smokes with a BABY? He didn't know but promised to find out.
My thoughts.....
My hope is that the judge will move slowly and award weekends with one or both of the older kids first. She hasn't had custody of her kids in 15 months. She's out of momma mode. Her kids don't know how to behave around a baby. It would be A LOT for her. However, she desperately wants to be a good momma. She adores him. She does everything she can to take care of him with what I pack in the diaper bag for visits. He never comes home hungry and he's always clean.
Baby 3 is the best baby ever in the history of the world. He doesn't cry. He is happy and sweet and precious in every way. We will miss him soooo much!! But I do hope God works in his family to bring healing and restoration. I also pray we can continue to be in his life. I wonder if I can get weekend visitation?? :-)
As for Baby 1 (BlueEyes) , all is the same. Mom is coming to visits but the supervisor told me she doesn't play with him or his sister. She just sits there and watches. Baby 1 is always happy to see her now. I know that makes her feel good. She brings snack and drinks which shows some forethought.
She has a job. That's a big deal.
Another big deal is that she is expecting again. I told CW to let me know if that baby will come into care. Maybe if Baby 3 goes home, I can save that spot for the new one.
My thoughts.....
She admitted to me that she hasn't ever taken care of him much. Mostly dad did. She doesn't know about his poopy diaper issues or milk sensitivity. She didn't know about his baby formula.
I'm not sure she has what it takes.
Visit days are horrible. Sure, BlueEyes acts ok around her. But when we get back home, he is a nightmare. Of course there are the fits. But it's more that that. He does this stress thing where he frantically tries to get into and mess up anything in front of him. If you hold his hands, he will try it with his feet. He won't listen and he goes for it (whatever it is at the moment) as fast as he can. I consider this his most dangerous time. This is the time he would grab knives or drink bleach or throw glass.
I hate visit days. He is not himself. And I know it's because his life is whack and he doesn't understand....yet at the same time he does understand that it's just not right.
2 comments:
Wow Sandy. Thank you for sharing; it really makes me reflect about the blessing of family. AND, thank you and your family for loving up on these precious babies. I've wondered about foster care for awhile and our kids are always asking about adoption. You inspire me!
Gaylene
Gaylene, I love foster care! I love getting to be on the front lines of the battle for families. What I hate are all the mixed emotions and the crazy sad things these kids have to go through!
Post a Comment