Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Is It That Time Already?


The first signs of fall....

~Public school has started. 
~The temps are cooler. 
~Pre-season football has begun. 
~Halloween junk is at Sams
~My spring garden is nearly dead. 
~Our bees are pretty much out of the danger zone for swarms. 
~Swim suits are on sale. 

~This weather is PERFECT!  I just can't believe it's so nice and cool with so much rain.  My bees are happy and gave us 2 1/2 gallons of honey.  I attribute that all to the good weather this year.  Other beekeepers are getting multiple harvests.  

~You should see how precious my boys look in their football uniforms!  And I know my boys might not wanna be called precious....but they ARE!  They had their first scrimmage games last week.  The real games start soon.  

~My cucumbers are still producing.  I was able to sell them 3 different times this year but now we are at an awkward stage where there are too many to keep but not enough to sell.  We also have a big harvest of pumpkins.  I had grand plans of cooking and canning this particular type of pumpkin so when they started coming up I was pretty excited.  But when I actually looked into the how-to of canning pumpkin I changed my mind.  Way too labor intensive for that kind of food.  Unfortunately the place that buys my cucumbers doesn't want my pumpkins since it's still hot outside.  And when I try to give them away people look at me like I'm crazy.  So no pumpkins next year.


~We are getting eggs!  Finally our hens are old enough to give us eggs.  And every day is a treasure hunt and an exclamation of pure excitement.  I'm sure the new will wear off soon, but for now every egg is a new surprise.

~Oh beautiful watermelons!!  



~So I'm guessing that pretty soon it'll be time to close up the pool, pack away the shorts, and give up the popsicles.  And then it'll be cozy nights, fires, a fall garden, and soups.   

But maybe there will still be room for popsicles.  


No comments: