Friday, November 02, 2012

Apparently We Are Library Snobs

When we were moving to CO the university my husband worked for generously allowed our family  to spend the summer in a dorm so we could be together.   It was a great chance for us to get introduced to the city where we were to live, house hunt, and meet some new friends. 

One of the first things I did was look up the library.  Where was it?  How do you get a library card?  When is story time? 

Within the first week of moving in we made our first visit.  OOOOhhhhhh and AHHHHHH!!!
So nice. 
It was big. It had everything!  It had self check out and a whole room for you to pick up the books they were holding for you.  There was a used book store (Be still my heart.) and stacks of free magazines.  The story time lady was pretty good. 
It was love at first sight. 

After officially moving for good Eldest and I made a visit back to our hometown.  I needed to use the internet and we went to the library.  I had forgotten how sweet and homey it was.   Perfectly adequate and very hospitable. 

Now we've been in our new house for about 3 weeks and finally made our first visit to the library.  I had asked around and heard many positive things.  I found out when story time started and we planned the whole day around it.  

Story time was filled with 2 and 3 year olds that didn't listen to their mommas and pulled all the videos off the bottom shelf.  The story time lady was mediocre at best and was dressed up like a vampire.  After sitting under Ms. Turner my kids have understandably high standards for story time and good children's literature.  They were not impressed. 

I took a walk around and toured the place hoping for at least a reasonable selection in my genre.  No.  The building is spacious alright, but not many books. 

I asked about getting a library card.  No.  I didn't bring the proper paperwork. 

It was big. It was new. But it was NOT what we had in mind.

I'm wondering how I can justify a trip to town every Monday to see our Ms. Turner. 



3 comments:

Amazingaintit said...

We could take school and go to the Library! It is so quiet and nice. You could get four study rooms that are right next to each other and walk from room to room... I have it all planned out. We should go and I'll show you what I mean.

TaggTroop said...

You mean a trip to FSM for school and Ms. Turner?

Anonymous said...

Hum, it sounds more like play time to me. :-\ Especially if CT plans it out! ;-)

Dad