Friday, September 21, 2012

Preventing Boredom

I'm reading a new book I got on my Kindle last week.    It certainly wasn't the topic of the chapter, but somewhere in there....just briefly...the author mentioned "bored with life".

Bored with life?  "How can that be?", I wondered.  On the other hand I knew exactly.

I've noticed that I'm more in my element during a fast-paced stressful situation.  There's tons of work.  Super busy.  No boredom.

But at home during the day-to-day everyday my mind is often bored.  I never realized this or thought to put words to it like that.  The fact is I have plenty to do.  And even if I thought I ran out, all I would need to do is pull open an over-stuffed dresser drawer and get to work.

But its not necessarily work I want to do.

And why?  Because in my perfect world I rarely recognize the fact that I'm engaged in a spiritual battle.
I go about doing my same ol' - same ol' and forget its eternal significance.   I only see dishes...more of them and the magic laundry pile that never gets smaller.

Do dishes and laundry even have eternal significance?  I believe they do.  It is along the lines of service and loving my family and working along side my children to teach them good work ethic, a cheerful attitude, and the joy of doing all things to the glory of God.

It is selfish of me to think (or fail to remember) that life is "only this".
But I'm not talking only housework.  It's also the times when I'm having a mental conversation with myself instead of listening to when someone is talking to me.  Wasting time on the computer.  Or checking my Facebook while my 1st grader is reading.

Jonathan Edwards wrote that he...
"determined to never lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can."
and
"To live with all my might while I do live."

That is what I want.  To escape the boredom of life by giving myself fully to each moment.  Everyday.

No comments: