Saturday, March 03, 2012

What I'm Reading

Now and then my ears fill up with noise and they simply won't hold another decibel.  Like tonight.  So the swishing and clanging of kitchen work, the stacking cups clapping, the girly that has too much to say, Star Wars, the goal that Dempsey just made, and Ravi Zacharias is carrying on without me.  I'm camped out on my bed surrounded by books and laptop and so far nobody's noticed I'm missing.

I got a new book. 
 Wanna see it? 

This is the first school book that I've paid full price for in years.

Add that to the fact that I had never seen it in person and you can see that it was a gutsy move. 
I've liked David Dye's free newsletters for a long time and decided to take the plunge.
I've read a good ways through it and can't wait to start on Monday.  

Ok.  Maybe not.  I'm never eager to start anything on Mondays.  Especially school.   But maybe it'll help that I have something new to try. 

Other things I'm reading....


7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker

Oh I love this book!  It's easy to pick up when I don't want to think too hard.  Yet has some substance to it.
I've never read any of her books before but I'm looking forward to reading more.

Confession:  I paid full price for this one too.
Actually Honey did and gave it to me for Valentines Day.  Still.


Just finished reading this aloud to my little peeps. 
The younger set hadn't heard it before and our own farmer boy was particularly enthralled.  
You know its a good book when you're disappointed that it's over.  

Confession:  This book is headed for the trash.  The yellow pages are falling out all over the place.  My cheap frugal nature says to just hold it carefully and use the loose pages as a bookmark.  But since the library has multiple copies I'm guessing they'll have to spare one the next time we want to read it.   

I had a mom moment in the last chapter. 
Let me set the stage:  I'm driving in the car to who knows where on any given day with whatever kid comes along.    About 1/2 way to wherever we're going I realize that I've hardly said a word to my passenger and s/he hasn't been so chatty with me.  Momma guilt overwhelms me and I start blabbing about anything I can think of so that I can be a good mom and build some memorable one-on-one time.  Anybody else do this?
 Feel free to roll your eyes. 

In the last chapter Almonzo is offered a promising apprenticeship with a respectable wheelwright.  It's a serious offer.  A good opportunity.  And guess what?   All the way home Father and Almonzo were silent! 
They were both thinking.  And nobody said anything.  Get this:  Almonzo did NOT think that Father was ignoring him and he did NOT feel unloved.  AND Father didn't even feel guilty!  Huh. 


This is a fantastic book if you're headed for local or foreign missions.  And you are, aren't you?  In one way or another?  I was loving this book when we were headed to Haiti.  Since my trip has been cancelled, I've slowed down reading it.  Partly because I HATE that I'm not going to Haiti yet.  Read the "yet".  And partly b/c it requires a lot of thinking.  Evidently I'm not into thinking too much these days. 

And that's it.  I'm also reading through parts of Genesis for Sunday school and working my way through Isaiah.  Isaiah happens to be on my list of faves. 

Book talk question:  Do you have a Kindle?  Do you like it?  Which one do you have?  Would I like it too?

4 comments:

the momma said...

hey - 7 is on my list; I'll let you borrow Interrupted and you can let me borrow 7 ;-)

can you loan books w a Kindle??

Oh - and Congrats on selling your house!!

Rebekah said...

I don't have a Kindle but I don't like reading books on a screen. I've tried to do that before and it bothers me. You might not care.

LB said...

I have a kindle and Mom, you will totally love it! Yes, you can rent books on a kindle.Another cool thing about a kindle is that it doesn't have a backlight becca, so it's not like reading on a computer screen at all, unless you get a kindle fire.

Jennifer said...

That writing curriculum looks really good...I hope you'll post more on it as you work through it! 7 has been on my list, too...I think I need to bump it up a bit. :)

I LOVE my Kindle. I actually have a regular Kindle (which I love for regular reading) with the E-ink (non-backlit screen), and the Kindle Android app, which is in color and better for magazines, children's books, and some educational books. I love them both! I also love the fact that I've built up a HUGE library of free and very low-cost books on my Kindle. It has paid for itself many, many times over. I still love "real books", but the Kindle is a great addition. (I also love the fact that I can stick my Kindle in my bag and any time I get stuck waiting somewhere, I have an entire library at my disposal. If the kids are with me, I have read-alouds, if it's just me, I can choose between light reading, prepping stuff for school, or getting in a chapter of whatever non-fiction I'm working on.)