Let's start with Wednesday. Andrew is a boy in my 3rd grade class. Super cute personality, smart, and sweet. He missed the excitement of last week with 3 of his friends praying to receive Christ.
This week I wanted to touch on baptism a little. We were scheduled to have 2 baptisms on Sunday morning and I wanted to explain what was going on and encourage them to come. So I did a brief recap on how Caleb, Cole, and Joey had made such important decisions when Andrew's hand shot up.
I could tell this wasn't a raise-your-hand-and-talk-about-something-that-has-nothing-to-do-with-anything. It carried a bit more weight. He wanted to know how they got to do it. Where were they? What did they say? Who was there? "Because I've been wanting to do that too."
There was a determination in his eye and an excitement that he finally knew how to make this happen. We talked. He was sure...positive...and seemed to just be waiting for his chance.
And again heaven rejoices!!
I have to say that of all the kids I've prayed with I'm most excited about Andrew. You should have seen his face afterward. His eyes sparkled, huge smile. Radiant! He acted like this had been on his mind and he just didn't know how to go about making it happen. Then all of a sudden it was clear and he knew exactly what he wanted.
I love Wednesdays.
Fast forward to Sunday morning. I didn't even have to make breakfast b/c we had an Annie Armstrong missions breakfast with a cute little program put on by the WMU. I love those ladies.
Our most handsome youth pastor led our youth in a couple of songs. I was so proud of them. They took it very seriously and did a terrific job.
Then.....baptisms!!
I love this picture of Hope and her daddy.
I love this under the water shot with Hope on the side clapping.
Lunch followed. And I'm thinking about how to talk my church into feeding us supper too.
My little kids are still trying to figure out this whole going to church a bunch of times in the week thing. They look at me incredulously when I say it's time to go to church. Again? How? What day is it? Which church?
Youth. I love.
There were 15 I think with 4 brand new kiddos. And wow were we in for some surprises! The newbies were a little more ...lets say...excitable. It was a louder night with big questions and lots of laughs.
We left with the realization that we are so inadequate for this gigantic task. Thankfully nobody has noticed that yet and we still have a job. (If you run into my church family don't tell them, ok?)
Teaching the youth has taken us to the Word in a new way. A story that is so familiar I could've recited it backwards in my sleep proves to be new and fresh as God takes it to a whole new level. Studying and practicing on our own kids has forced us to put answers to hard question into words that can be understood.
Even though its only been a couple of weeks, I've loved working with these kids who can ask some deeper harder questions that deserve attention and answers delivered with grace.
Absolutely awesome.
We left with the realization that we are so inadequate for this gigantic task. Thankfully nobody has noticed that yet and we still have a job. (If you run into my church family don't tell them, ok?)
Teaching the youth has taken us to the Word in a new way. A story that is so familiar I could've recited it backwards in my sleep proves to be new and fresh as God takes it to a whole new level. Studying and practicing on our own kids has forced us to put answers to hard question into words that can be understood.
Even though its only been a couple of weeks, I've loved working with these kids who can ask some deeper harder questions that deserve attention and answers delivered with grace.
Absolutely awesome.



2 comments:
I love being able to read all of what's going on with you lately and it makes me want to sit down and chat with you over a cup of tea! :)
Yea!! for you...a sweet story
Post a Comment