Thursday, July 28, 2011

First Day Of School!


OK, before we start let's just pause to be impressed.  I took this pic on my new phone.  But then I didn't know what to do with it.  Like how do I make it go from my phone to my blog?  Well Honey very matter of factly told me that he'd hafta set it up for me.  But nooooo......I want to learn to do it myself.  So guess what ya'll? 

I FIGURED IT OUT!!  I know!  Without help.  None.  Just me. 

What I didn't figure out was how to upload more than one pic at a time to the same post.  Maybe later. 

Ok, back to the First Day Of School!!

Kinda weird b/c we school year round so there's never been an official first day.  Until now.  I got the idea from Teri Maxwell who always starts the new year with new school supply surprises. 

So that's what I did.  I bought everybody stuff they needed plus fun stuff they didn't need.  
I put a big note on the white board announcing that tomorrow (today) would be our First Day Of School.
Of course the kids were surprised.  And confused.  And asked me what it meant.
But I told them to wait and see. 

This morning I set out all the surprises at their places at the table and called them out.  SURPRISE!!!

I would like to show you everybody's happy faces but I haven't figured it out.  Didn't I already talk about that?
Well trust me, it was fun. 

Some of the new things....

~rubbermaid boxes for the younger kids to keep all their school stuff contained.  Last year I used laundry baskets.  Big mess always.  Too much space and the holes in the basket let pencils escape. 

~color coded folders, pencils, sharpeners, erasers, everything for the boys.  This way we'll always know whose is whose.  And if you lose your pencils or break them or sharpen them too much you can buy a pencil from mom for a quarter.  Can you tell that we had pencil issues last year? 

~flip flops for Eldest.  What could I get her?  Her scholarship pays for all her stuff and I didn't wanna leave her out.  (I have better ideas for next year though!)

~Josh has his own calculator to check his math work.  Happy boy!

~Socks and underwear.  Zboy is thrilled with his Lightening McQueens.

~A few school books that they haven't seen yet. 

And after all that we didn't even use them.  I told them today was like "registration" day and we'd just look at the new stuff and talk about our plans for the upcoming year.  Even that was fun b/c they weren't expecting new plans!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun....You went and made me be excited about school!!! And I hate school. What a fun time it sounds like. You get a A+...haha

Rhonda said...

That sounds really, really fun!!

Shawna said...

So what other new things are you doing with them this year Sandy? Your surprise sounded great. I think I will do something like it!
Love,
sm