Monday, April 05, 2010

Honoring Others With Words

"Honor one another above yourselves."  Romans 12:10
The NKJV says it like this, "giving preference to one another".

This is a portion of the passage my family is memorizing right now and the part that is stuck in my head at the moment. 

Showing preference to anybody other than myself is particularly challenging to someone as selfish as I am.  But these words keep coming to me, convicting and helpful.

I've always thought of that verse in relation to sharing or giving.  Like if there's one piece of pie left I should give it to him kind of thing.  But God is showing me that it's much more than that.

I'd be so embarrassed if anyone ever counted the words that left my mouth on any given day.  I talk all the the time.  Rather it's directions, corrections, questions, or directives, it seems like my mouth is always running.  And that doesn't even count e-mail, Facebook, or my blog!  Honestly there are times when I'm tired of my own voice. 

Unfortunately I don't usually consider the other person who is listening to me.  I just say what I need to say and keep going.  But God is showing me how to apply this verse to my conversation. 

Honoring another requires thinking ahead.  Considering how to phrase my words so they will be easy to hear, especially if it's something challenging.  "Seasoning it with salt" as Paul would say.  And while I don't want to water down something that needs the full effect, I also don't want to wound unnecessarily.  It's not about me blowing off steam, but about building up the other person. 

Do I need to start with praise and encouragement?  What are the ways that this person will receive it best? 

And most of all, I want my words to be honoring to God.  Praying over the measure of my words and asking him to fill my mouth or maybe clap a hand over it! 

"May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in  your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer."  Ps 19:14

1 comment:

TaggTroop said...

Selfish? Your not selfish