Last night at the Christmas program I told everyone that I wouldn't be at church today. You see, Honey and Eldest are shooting a wedding at another church and wrestling Babyest during the service isn't much fun by myself.
Before bed I was reading A God Centered Church by Henry and Melvin Blackaby. He quoted Eph 2:19-22
"Consequently, you are no longer foreigners and aliens, but fellow citizens with God's people and members of God's household, built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, with Christ Jesus himself as the chief cornerstone. In him the whole building is joined together and rises to become a holy temple in the Lord. And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit."
As I read this coupled with Blackaby's thoughts, the whole idea of my church being my family hit me anew. We're a family of brothers and sisters in Christ brought together to love each other, help each other, and honor God. Did we really want to stay home and watch a church service on tv when we could be with our family in person?
When we entered the church my pastor said "Welcome!" with surprise in his eyes. Several family members told me how glad they were that I changed my mind. We sat on the front row and enjoyed the singing, the message, and the prayer time. A little fellowship followed with one more chance to say "Merry Christmas!"
Shortly after we got home the phone rang. It was one of our senior ladies calling to tell me how glad she was that I made the extra effort to come. She told me how the children always bless her and said that I was a good mom.
No, Babyest wasn't wonderfully behaved and needed to be taken out twice. The littlest kids were squirmy and didn't want to pay attention. But the inconvenience was more than made up for by the love we received. Look what we would've missed if we'd stayed home.
I will close with some Blackaby thoughts....
"God has called us to join the family gathering and enjoy the benefits of that relationship. In God's family we will receive strength, encouragement, and much-needed fellowship. We will grow in wisdom and maturity as we benefit from those who have walked with God for many years. We will find security in the family's watch care of our life and respond to its comfort and accountability. More than anything else, God our Father manifests Hie presence in special ways when two or three are gathered together."
2 comments:
*sigh* I feel like all I am at FBB is a spectator - I don't have that fellowship w/ many other ppl there, and it's tough b/c all of them respect, admire and love Luke since they've known him for like FOREVER, so I feel like such an outsider there...
This is so much how I feel about our church. I love the interaction with these people and they are my family in so many ways. It hasn't always been that way, but over time and me opening myself up to them, they have really ministered to me in a family kind of way. I think that's the nice thing about a small church. It can also be irritating when people get on your nerves :) but that's how it is in a family, isn't it?
Thanks for sharing your thoughts,
Love,
Susie
Post a Comment