~This has been such a fun Christmas season so far. We haven't done anything different than previous years so I don't know why this one seems funner. I love the dark nights, the snow, the bee-youtiful Christmas tree, the music, and all the prep.
~I was lying in bed thinking about this this morning and wondering if it was ok that some of the things that I'm so crazy about have nothing to do with Jesus. There's egg nog night, the gingerbread house, stuff like that. I know that some families do every sort of Christmas thing around Jesus. They have Spiritual meaning behind every gift, all the ornaments are Spiritual. Every tradition has a lesson or Scripture involved. I like that idea but it's not us. So I was wondering if that means that we sorta have a foot in both worlds or are sitting on the fence. I don't know.
~I ordered more Christmas pix. I just couldn't bring myself to shorten my list much. PLUS I have new friends in CO!
~We are having the best time making Christmas crafts this year. The kids' stuff is so cute and I know the g'mas are going to love it! Today I did some canning for gifts. Those little jars are so satisfying. I love to can.
~Speaking of canning, I found some jars at Savers! They put them together in bags and sold them as a set. Not my favorite idea since I only wanted some of the jars and not all. They were still cheaper than buying them new.
~Today we did our gingerbread house. It's one of those kits with the pre-made gingerbread and all the icing and sprinkles and candies. It is always sure to bring out lots of laughs as the walls cave in or the baby eats the chimney. I think this one is the best so far.
~My daughter asked, "Why is a gingerbread house a Christmas thing? Seems like it should be a Hansel and Gretal thing." Hmmm...I don't know. I asked Honey as he doesn't know either. Anyone know why they sell gingerbread houses at Christmas time?
~When my older kids were little we loved The Beginner's Bible. You know the old one with the white cover? We read it until it fell apart and we finally had to throw it away. Now they have a new version which is just as good but I'm a bit partial to the old illustrations. In the last few weeks I've found 2 of the older ones in great shape at Savers for $.69 each. They are both for gifts for our little bittys. I'm happy to still get to share this with my younger kids.
~I had an old iTunes card and bought the new Bebo Norman Christmas cd. It won't be a favorite but it's ok. We need some new Christmas music. Any suggestions?
~I had this big piece of meat in my freezer and I didn't know what it was. It had obviously been in there since before my parents brought us meat b/c there was ice all over it. I thawed it out and stuck it in the crockpot all day. It was actually good....if roast could ever be called "good" that is.
~I planned creamed spinach as a side dish for tonight. My daughter was helping me and instead of pulling out spinach, she got broccoli from the freezer. Not paying attention (they're both green, right?) I thawed it out in the microwave and didn't notice until the recipe was well on it's way. We substituted the broccoli for the spinach and it was just as good.
~I wish I could visit my family for Christmas. BUT I'm praying for a way to visit in the spring. My boys (and a couple of girls) would love some farm time. I want some time w/my moms and dads. Maybe a trip to AR too?? I guess we'll see.....
1 comment:
"broccoli from the freezer" heehee, this reminds me of the hash brown "cheese" pizza :)
We got a new Christmas CD this year (actually, we got a few - we didn't have any at all!)
One of them was Handel's Messiah, by the London symphonic sumthing er nother. It was good, if you enjoy the baroque style of singing. I may have enjoyed something a bit less authentic a bit more :)
we ALSO got Casting Crown's Christmas album - "Peace on Earth" and I heartily recommend it. There are a few beautiful renditions of classic carols, some original songs, the Christmas version of "While you were sleeping", and the worship song "Offering" (not a Casting Crowns original) with a special christmastime first verse about the wise men...
It's is breathtakingly awesome and beautiful, a lot of the songs make me want to cry :)
Sounds like you're enjoying Christmas at home in CO, and I'm very happy for you :)
Post a Comment