Thursday, October 11, 2007

Three and Thirteen

I am been blessed to have mothered 7 three- year -olds so far. Three is an interesting age. It is fun to watch this little girl's personality unfold as she is growing out of babyhood and into the world of a big girl. She is often head-strong. She is able to make her own decisions about right and wrong and willfully choose her own way. She talks, but doesn't always make sense. She trusts you to help her. She needs a lot of direction.

Now some of my three year olds are teenagers. I have learned that there is little difference between three and thirteen. The issues that you face at three will be revisited at thirteen...just on a bigger scale. Now this little girl is growing into a woman and eager to show what she is learning. She talks, but doesn't always make sense. She is able to make her own decisions about right and wrong and willfully choose her own way. Now and then she can wow you with a wave of extreme maturity, and the next minute she is the little girl that you know. She trusts you to help her. She needs a lot of direction. I am so thankful that we laid the foundation when she was three.

When she was three, I had no idea what would await us at 13, nor did I even think about it. She is delightful, challenging, and fun to have around. Enjoy your 3yo! Mother them carefully. They will 13 before you know it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you writing in code?

jodie

Michele said...

So glad you can blog again, I was missing knowing how you all are doing. Happy house closing tomorrow! Take care, Michele

Anonymous said...

waaaah! you are making me sad! lil miss anna catherine is almost 6 months...and now i'm thinking about 6 years and 16 years! gah! ;o) she may be needing her first solid food before too long. sigh. i think we're going for pureed avacado versus rice cereal. we may even have an "anna catherine's first food" party for the grandparents. what did you feed your babies first other than breastmilk? ~emily

Anonymous said...

Mother,
I do sound like a 3yo.But I'll grow out of it right?
Do all teenagers do it?
Love
Lane