Thursday, October 11, 2007

Attentiveness

There was a man in Lystra who was crippled, lame from birth and had never walked. He looked at Paul as he was speaking. Paul looked directly at him, saw that he had faith to be healed and called out, "Stand up on your feet!" At that, the man jumped up and began to walk. ~ Acts 14:8-10

This guy didn't do anything but pay attention and a miracle was done for him. I wonder what sort of look he had on his face. I wonder about his body language. It doesn't mention that Paul knew his name or had ever even seen him before, but b/c of the way he was paying attention, it was counted to him as righteousness. He didn't just hear the words....he *showed* he was listening in a way that Paul noticed.

What good will be given to me if I only pay attention? How do I show attentiveness? If the pastor saw me in the pew would he think that I had faith just by looking at me? Does my husband and children think that I listen to them just by the way I act when they are talking? Do I read my Bible with attentiveness, eagerly expecting and believing God for a special Word? Or do I lay back in my chair with my legs draped over the armrest and check my watch as those who love me are desperately trying to communicate their thoughts and dreams and share their life with me? I wonder what I've missed out on by being "too busy"?

Today I want to listen and learn. I want my family to know that I am interested in them. I want God to be pleased that I am not going my own way, but moment-by-moment listening to Him and eager to follow.

I read this this morning as I contemplate the many busy (and fun) things on my plate today as we close on our house. I'm so excited and eager to get this done. In the busyness of this day, though, I want to pay attention. I want my kids and husband and God to know that I love them enough to SHOW that I'm listening to them. I wonder what miracles await if I just pay attention.

No comments: