We came home last night to receive some sad news. One of our precious friends died while we were away. Since none of my friends knew her, I didn't know it until we got home.
Mrs. Coffman was diagnosed with lung cancer several years ago. That is when we met. Her prognosis was bleak but she lived on to be in the 1% to survive as long as she did. A couple of months ago she told me that she had cancer again. A different type but the prognosis was just about the same.
She loved our kids so much. Any time she would go anywhere she would hire them to water for her and get her mail and paper. I know that she did not need them to water. She has a lawn service and a housekeeper. But she made them feel so special by telling them that they were the best waterers in the world then she would pay them WAY more than the job was worth. When I talked to her about this, she would say, "Listen Honey, I am like their grandma and they are such good kids. Besides someone else's money is always better than your own."
Once while watering LB climbed a tree in her yard and broke a limb. When Mrs. C returned I took LB over to apologize. Her response? "Oh, LB I love you so much better than that old tree. And besides, I did the same thing when I was your age."
About 3 or 4 times a year she would surprise the kids with a big sack from Braums with 5 or 6 different ice cream flavors.
She took us swimming at her country club and would talk about how she wishes she could take them all to Branson for some fun.
She often remembered them on Easter or Valentines day with a big basket of candy or a decorated cookie from the mall. She never forgot them on Christmas.
When we moved into this house, she babysat them all. I can't tell you what a help that was and I don't know what we would've done without her. They were all so little that they would've been all over the place. She had them over all day that day and fed them pizza and ice cream. They had such fun.
I talked to Mrs. Coffman the day before we left for CO. I knew her cancer was getting worse but I didn't think that would be the last time we talked. She wanted to see the kids and I sent them over. She said that when we came back she wanted to do a pizza picnic for them. She asked us to write her while we were away and was sure to send her address on an envelope for the kids to pack in their suitcase.
I had a dream about her while we were gone. I prayed for her often. I asked the Lord to make her comfortable in her last days. I hope that He did. I'm so thankful that God let us be a part of this sweet lady's life.
She told me all the time how she talked about us to everybody that she knew. She had such a way of making you feel so special. I called last night to check on her when we got home. The housekeeper told me the news. She knew exactly who I was even though I had never met this particular housekeeper.
Honey and I sat up and cried together last night. We have to tell the kids this morning. They will be so sad. Today I'll go over and see Mr. Coffman. I just hate that he will be in the big house all alone. We'll need to think of ways that we can love on him.
Please pray for him and for their children and grandchildren.
No comments:
Post a Comment