Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Farm News

Isn't this such a beautiful time of year!!?  
Here's some of the goodness going on around here....


We do not have what you would call a real garden.  We only have some various plants planted here and there.  This is our first fruits of the season.

And we have some spinach ready to pick. 


Our grapes are coming back! I thought for sure they were dead.  Looks like we have at least another year to try to kill them do better.  I need to look up how to best care for them instead of just hoping for the best. 



Now I don't mean to make you jealous, but we are now the proud owners of this fancy looking chicken tractor.  My guys have been working on this to keep the chickens from tearing up the whole yard.




We also have some brand new babies that are hatching as I type.  So far we have 3. 


Our new chicken!  This picture doesn't show you how cute she is.  She is a silkie so her name is Silkie.  Of course.  

Friends! 



Yesterday we headed out to Wild Things Farm and picked strawberries.  Today the girls and I got busy making a lot of jam.  12 jars in this batch. 


Plus 12 jars of freezer jam.  We will see which one tastes better. 


I also made some wipes.  One batch is vinegar cleaning wipes and the other one is baby wipes. 


Our bees are doing fine.  I haven't seen a swarm in a couple of weeks.  I can't say that they are multiplying as quickly as I'd like though.  I'm about to start feeding them a supplement.  They are, however, making quite a bit of honey for their size.  That makes me happy.  And the one thing I learned from last year is that my bees do NOT like the queen excluder.  I'm keeping them off this year and letting her free roam the hives while the workers only have a bottom entrance.  So far so good.











No comments: