Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Some New Goals For The New Year

We are getting ready to say good-bye to another year.  In our family, 2014 has been a sweet year of goodness.  It's been a year of memories and fun and growing and doing new things.  Our one big sadness was losing our sweet dog Joey.

Today we are getting ready for a fun New Year's Eve.  We will clean the house, run a couple of errands, and cook up some great food.  We'll play games and watch movies and stay up late and just have a fun night being together.  Meg and Ethan will join us and might even spend the night.

And then tomorrow will start brand new.  A new start to a new year.  And I just love new starts.  Maybe that's why I don't hate Mondays.

Like I told you, I've been working on my New Year's goals.  Here's what I came up with....

1. Read the New Testament with my kids.  I'll have them read the chapter alone and come prepared to share 1 thing that they wrote that stuck out to them.  A sentence. A question. A thought.
We will read it together and discuss it at the morning meeting and pick out a memory verse for the week.

2.  My friend and I are starting a Bible study for our youth girls in January.  I want to give this adequate attention and not just my leftovers.

3.  Read Prayer Coach again.  I loved this book and I want to take it slow and practice the things it teaches.

4.  Finish our home study.  Take our PRIDE training classes. And open our home for foster care.

5.  If New Fire gets off the ground this year, I will be responsible for concessions.  My kiddos and I will work on this together and I need to get them practicing on counting change.

6.  Be more consistent with my kids' music lessons.  Jes is our piano player and LOVES his lessons with Ms. Susie.  I pay Jesse $2 a lesson to teach his siblings.  It's good for him to learn to teach, good for them to be able to take instruction from their brother, and it saves us $128 a month by not paying for "real" lessons.

7.  Read aloud to my kids more.  I used to be super consistent with this but as they have gotten older and busier it tends to be low hanging fruit.  I want to guard our afternoon time, be more selective about afternoon friend visits, and more faithful to set the table for tea.

So that's it!  Did you have a great 2014?  Are you looking forward to a new start in 2015?  Do you have some New Year's goals?

No comments: