Tuesday, October 21, 2014

A Thirty Pound Catch

It was a good afternoon.


School was over, the big kids had been picked up, and the little boys were fishing.  That's when Zeke came running up to the house at full speed with his mouth wailing out words at the same pitch as a siren.  DISASTER!!

Our dog Korrie had gotten a big fish hook stuck in the back of her tongue while she tried to steal some catfish bait.  There was no getting it out.

Now I woke up this morning with two significant things on my mind.  It was a busy day and promised to be a late night.  Number one, I had a friend coming over that I haven't seen in a long time.  Number two, there was a ladies' thing at church and I had invited my neighbor and she said yes.

But by 9am both things were cancelled for various reasons and my busy day was now a regular day WITH NOWHERE TO GO.  And I think you know how big that is to me.

It totally dictates my wardrobe for the day.  No standing in my closet making decisions, no holding anything up to see if I can get away with not ironing it.

And that's why the disaster found me at 3:30 still in my pjs....which happens to be shorts and a t-shirt that don't even come close to matching.

So while Jes carried Korrie back up the house, I found some jeans and a different t-shirt (FANCY) and gave instructions to the kids staying home.   My nowhere to go turned into an emergency trip to the vet.

I started fighting back tears about half way into town.  I wasn't worried about Korrie...the fish hook didn't even seem to bother her much.  But just thinking about the last time I went to the vet.  My sweet JoeJoe was very sick and wouldn't get well.

There are a few things that I relate to Nathan's babyhood.  We bought our washer and dryer, my parents got divorced, HL died, and we got a new puppy.  That new puppy would turn out to be such a sweet good dog that would bless our family for 10 years.

And we sure miss him.

Korrie had to be left for an hour or so while they sedated her and pulled out the hook.   Meanwhile Honey and I took Jes to Sams for pizza.

By the time we picked up Korrie, she was bouncing around like nothing ever happened.  They even saved the hook for us.

Hopefully next time the boys will use it to catch a catfish instead of a puppy.


No comments: