I'm reading through 1 Corinthians these days. It's interesting how Paul addresses the churches so differently and speaks to their individual needs. And then at the same time, I find my "need" in whichever epistle I'm reading and it's as though he is speaking to me. Apparently I have ever-changing issues.
If I were to summarize 1 Corinthians it would be Intentional Living. Paul speaks a lot about our bodies, how to honor God, putting people first, and also warnings against serving ourselves.
Yesterday, I spoke to my kids about storing up treasure in heaven. God tells us that our treasure should not be here on earth where moths destroy and thieves steal, but storing up treasure in heaven instead. Laney mentioned that whenever she heard that teaching it always sounded like we were to store up our own personal treasure boxes for ourselves as the end goal.
But it's not that.
Our goal is glorifying God. And one of the biggest ways we do that is by putting ourselves last and loving others. The treasure is the by-product of a life of love. "....just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved." 1Cor 10:33
But it doesn't just come naturally. And that's where the instruction comes in. Do this. Do that. And by all means, DON'T do that!! It's not burdensome, but freeing. Not only does Paul say "love one another" but he tells us how to do that in chapter 13.
My planner is full of the day-to-day business of life. There are reminders, menu plans, shopping lists, school ideas, various Scriptures to remember, and the big list of things to do. But sometimes in the afternoons I find myself in a place of not knowing what to do. Not that I'm bored, but just overwhelmed with not knowing where to start or what to jump into next. And often I'm jumping from thing to thing without ever feeling like I'm getting anything done.
This verse has helped..... "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you my obtain it."
Again, this speaks of intentional living. Having a purpose and then ordering life so that I can achieve that end result. And the result is ultimately loving God and loving others.
The afternoon is a good time to check off everything that has been done and then evaluate and prioritize the remainder. By afternoon school is finished, 2 meals are done and cleaned up, and there is a bit more freedom in how to spend the time. I can play with my kids, swim, or go for a walk. We can read, make cookies, or just have quiet time. I can glance at my planner and decide how to spend that time with the goal of loving others and not just catching up on Pinterest. Every day is different. But by intentionally prioritizing that time, there is an actual purpose behind what I'm choosing and I don't feel as though I'm just hopping from thing to thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment