Saturday, June 07, 2014

Some Of My Favorites This Week

Here's some things I'm loving this week...

~While we were in Colorado, Rommel had a fan kinda like this.  When we got home, I bought one right away.  My goal for this summer is for our electric bill to stay under the $300 mark.  I know when canning season hits, that'll be HARD!  But still.  This fan is FANtastic!!  I wish I had 4 more.  But at $60 a pop, we will have one for awhile.


~My next door neighbor had a garage sale.  And I love garage sales of my friends because they usually have stuff I like.  We scored some new Tiger shirts and hats and several brand new candles.   I've been needing some new candles, so this was a gift just for me!  It inspired me to clean the whole house since everyone knows you can't light a candle unless the house is clean.  Then Jess surprised me with these roses from the front yard.  The smell is heavenly!!

See that bud vase?  I never remember not having it.  It was my mom's when I was a kid and now it's mine.

~So for all sports teams I like my boys to have the number of their birth.  Christian has always been #3 on every team unless he just had absolutely no choice.  And here's our caboose, #9 , looking fierce in his t-ball shirt.  LOVE.


~Me and my boy watching Nate's game together.  I have to admit, baseball is funner than I thought.   I'm enjoying the parents/grandparents too.  Way less intense than soccer and football, and that's kinda nice.



~Farm News:


Garden goodness!  The Lord has graciously given us so much rain with the perfect balance of sunshine and we haven't had to water a single time yet.  Our lettuce, basil, and kale are growing beautifully.   We have a few green tomatoes and peppers and we picked one zucchini.  Slowly we are adding tomato cages.  Last year we just staked them, but cages are far better.  Aldi has them for $1.49 each.  We have lots of tomato plants but I keep telling myself we will have these cages for years to come so the investment is worth it.

The bees are doing great.  I've decided to run double brood chambers this year.  That means more bees and a stronger hive but possibly less honey.  A stronger hive means less chance of pests and more ability to over winter.  We added vented covers to both hives since it's getting warmer and the bees are hanging out on their porch more.

We lost 2 more chickens this week.  One was because of Milo, the other was Korrie.  Grrrrr......
But we also added 4 Guinea chicks!  We are hoping to let them free range and deal with all the bugs, but with Korrie's killer instinct I'm not sure that's even possible.

No comments: