Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Future Reading List


As the year comes to a close, I am almost finished with all the books I'm reading.  I didn't mean for it to happen that way, but I think it'll be kinda nice to start a new year with a new book list.

Here's some reads I'm considering for 2014....

First the encores..

First We Have Coffee by Margaret Jensen

Hands down, other than the Bible, the most influential book I've ever read.  I like to re-read this at least once a year and I've read it so much I have lots of it memorized.  But every time I start it over, there is something that sticks out to me that didn't before.

I love Mama Tweeten.  And so many times when life is difficult, I ask myself what Mama would say or how Mama would've handled it.

I am friends with her only surviving child, Ms. Joyce, and we have had some neat conversations about Mama and her love for God and how she raised her family.  There will be a day in heaven when I will actually get to meet Mama, but for now, I have this book.

The Peace Maker by Ken Sande

This is an essential read for Christians and I'm adding it to my required reading list for my high schoolers.  Mr. Sande takes you though Scripture and teaches how to resolve conflict Biblically and how to live peacefully with others even when it's hard.

A long book with lots of words and full of truth that makes me take it slowly to really learn what he is saying.  It's a worthy commitment.

Live A Praying Life by Jennifer Kennedy Dean
Leola introduced me to JKD years ago and I've loved her since.  She has such an easy way of explaining things that are hard to understand.  I borrowed this book and loved it.  But since it was borrowed, I didn't get to to mark it up with squiggly underlines and notes.  For me that means I didn't get the full effect and I need my own copy.

~In just a few days I will have finished the Old Testament.   I've also finished the first 5 books of the New Testament.  I haven't done a yearly reading plan with my Bible, but years ago I finished it cover-to-cover for the first time.  Since then, I have tried different reading plans.  This is my 4th time to go through it.

Leola has introduced me to a new chronological study that I'm interested in....but should I start over when I'm so close to finishing this time?   I'm undecided.

For now I'm considering Experiencing The Power Of Life-Changing Faith by Kay Arthur to guide me through Romans.

I like her simple, yet detailed, inductive studies.

This Momentary Marriage by John Piper
This looks good.

Large Family Logistics
I've been wanting to read this for a long time.  The FBC library has it but I haven't made it over there yet.

A Little Salty To Cut The Sweet
I really really really wanna read this!!

1 comment:

the momma said...

You can borrow my Large Family Logistics, if I can borrow A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet if you buy it ;-) Isn't Sophie a hoot?!
(Actually, you can borrow my book anyways...)
You read anything this year that I need to read?