Friday, May 10, 2013

Recent Ramblings

Listen y'all, this is getting urgent.

 I've been checking out children's books from the library for over 2 decades and I've never lost a book that we couldn't find. But now....

Where is Clifford And The Big Storm?   It's nowhere. We've looked all over the place and even called the dentist office and made them look all over the place.   So if we have been to your house lately will you please turn your house upside too to see if we left there?  I'm out of renewals and had to call to ask for an extension which they gave me with no problem because who even wants a Clifford book anyway??

Wednesday was our last night of Awana.  Award night and no class.  And this is hilarious. The very last night and we had like 10 new kids including the babies that had to go home after dinner! Apparently word got out that it was party night!   One of the new kids was a guy that would be in my class. A fourth grader named Jacob and NOT Robert (as I called him).  Turns out if you call him Robert he will not acknowledge you in any way.  Apparently he only answers to Jacob.  In my defense he does look more like a Robert than a Jacob and its too bad his mother did not consult  me before naming him. Anyway he told me he would come back to VBS but he won't come to church on Sundays because he is not a Sunday person. Well I'll take what I can get and look forward to getting to know him better.

My boy Shannon is back and that makes me smile.  He's such a sweetheart and I like having him in class.

So before games Geo talked to all the kids very seriously about what it means to trust Christ as your savior. I love these talks and it seems to me that every time he does it there is a hush over the crowd and the silliness is put aside for those minutes. As he was dismissing he asked anyone to stay who didn't feel like they had the matter settled between them and God and wanted to take care of that. A handful of kids stayed behind and 2 of them were mine.

My MJ and Hayden.

So I asked them what was on their minds because I always wanna be careful not to put words in their mouths during these talks. I talked to both of them and asked them a lot of questions and both of them wanted to pray.

I've been praying for these boys for a long time. And every week I have the opportunity to not only go through an Awana program but to dig deeper and explain things to them. That's what I love. Honestly we could ditch the book and still have a great class.

I will miss them this summer but I'm also looking forward to spending more time with the youth and that hot youth pastor that works there.

And VBS is right around the corner!! Oh JOY! My absolute fave.

~There is a war on gophers going on at my house. We caught one in the trap and it was pretty uneventful except for those of us who wanted to see a gopher snapped in two... which didn't include me because I'm not into things that look anything like a mouse.  Then yesterday we caught another one except it wasn't dead and Farmerboy had to go all hunter on him and shoot him like 6 times in the head before he died.

I know. You could've gone your whole life without knowing that right?  But if you have a garden you will be glad to know there are two less gophers in the world to eat your stuff.

Speaking of garden... you knew this was coming didn't you?..   My garden is not growing except for the onions. So I called PawPaw and he told me some ideas that made sense. Then I called my man with a list of what he needed to do. Being the sweetie that he is he made a run to the store to get a few things including a handy gadget called a Garden Weasel  since our tiller is super old and tired and should've retired a long time ago. But get this.  It was TKD night and I and didn't even get to play with it until it was almost dark.  It's pretty nifty and guess what I'll be doing tomorrow?

~TKD testing tomorrow and Oh My Word five of our kids are testing for BLACK BELT!!  Black belt ya'll!!  I'm so excited for them.  And nervous.  They have to break all three boards with different techniques to pass.  Which shouldn't be a big deal but with everyone watching and the pressure of failing and then choosing just the right board holders.....oh my word!!

And then my Nate will also be mid-terming which means if all goes well he will test for black belt in 3 months.  I'm also a bit concerned for this one since he is a bit smaller and not quite as strong.  At this point he only has to break 3 boards but not in the same sequence.  We'll see.

The rest of my people will be testing for colored belts including my man who is just one belt away from black.

So needless to say it'll be a big day.  Grandparents will be there and cupcakes are involved.

No comments: