Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Peep Peep!!

Take a look at these sweet babies!!


Honey made an egg run to the feed store and surprised us with 6 adorable little sweeties. 
Ooooh they are so soft!
 

 
We have their habitat all set up.  Or I should say the THIRD one since Saturday since we are learning to get it right and they are growing so fast.  The chicken coop is ready for when they are a little bigger and it is warmer.  


Look who else likes the new babies....
 
 

At first Joey didn't care much, but by Monday he knew full well what was going on in that tub and was totally fixated! 


Lane has been working with him though and Joey has even tolerated having a chick on his paw and pecking his whiskers.  Oh course he's really just waiting for Lane to let her guard down. 


They usually stay huddled together under the light like this.  But the last couple days they've gotten on their perch and spread out a bit. 

Unfortunately we lack the good sense not to name them.  Not sure how that'll turn out in the end.... but right now they are sooo much fun!

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How neat...I saw some at tractor supply yesterday....How fun..

Taleia said...

For eating or eggs? I dearly love y "ladies" (I have three laying hens) and the fresh eggs are out of this world!

TaggTroop said...

Taleia,
I don't know! First of all eggs, but someday I wanna get to the point of being to eat them. But how can you eat a sweet face like that that you raise from a baby and named Penguin?

Clearly naming them wasn't the best idea!

Taleia said...

Oh, that's easy to fix! :) Have hens to love on and for eggs, and use the second generation for eating! Whatbreed are they?

TaggTroop said...

Sexlinks is what the feed store man said but the eggs in the incubator are Rhode Island Reds I think.

I really don't know the difference!

emilyj said...

Based on the experience of a MS friend who raises chickens - one hundred eighty to be exact - and sells the eggs, laying chickens are not for eating. By the time their laying days are over the meat will be tough and stringy...they actually have chicken processing equipment and order about 70 meat chickens a year to raise and slaughter. (i think they said 4 months is optimum age?) I have been lucky enough to buy a few from them and they were delicious!!! Pasture raised meat was much better than feed lot!!:)