Monday, January 28, 2013

Increase and Multiplication

"But the Word of God increased and multiplied." Acts 12:24

The early church was an amazing body.   A persecuted church full of faith in their God and love for their people.

To set the stage in chapter 12, one of their own, James, was killed at the hands of a pagan king and their beloved Peter was imprisoned.  Bad times.

"but earnest prayer for him was made to God by the church " (12:5)

In the night, an angel walks Peter through his escape from the maximum security, through the gate,and into the city.

When he went to find his friends, where were they? Gathered together praying! Were these ppl amazing or what?

No wonder it was said of them "and walking in the fear of the Lord and in the comfort of the Holy Spirit, it multiplied".

The numbers multiplied and consequently the Word multiplied.
This morning I am stopped in my tracks by these words "increased and multiplied".

The church is the people of God ... that's me.
Is the Word increasing and multiplying in me?

 I am blessed to live in a time of extreme convenience and comfort affording me more time on my hands than I know what to do with.  Yet, I dare say if Peter came looking for me in the night after miraculously escaping from prison he would probably find me sleeping, playing with my phone, reading something stupid, or watching Duck Dynasty. Probably not praying.


"Only in the Lord it shall be said of me is righteousness and strength." (Isa 45:24).
Not in the silliness that I turn toward.
Oswald Chambers says to "narrow all other interests until the attitude of mind, heart, and body is concentration on Jesus".


I have a feeling that I don't have a right understanding of the extreme privilege that is mine in the freedom I have to worship and proclaim the Word of God.  I sit in my pretty church, listen to my fine speaking pastor and gawk at my sexy worship leader (wink). And I don't understand anything that has to do with persecution or hardship.

And I'm thankful for that. But how much more should the Word be increasing and multiplying in me when I do not have the the cares that so many are shouldering even today?

Instead I am discontent with the simple and long for the fancy and "well done". I judge on the basis of whether it is funny, entertaining, or "relevant". I am entangled in my notions of what is attractive (to myself and others).  My eyes are blinded by the sparkly trinkets of this fallen world when they should be looking into the face of the One who says "Turn to Me".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't think that I didn't notice you called George "fine!!" You in trouble!!!!!

Even though you said I was sexy...