Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Don't Try This At Home!!

We had mashed potatoes for dinner. Lately when I make mashed potatoes I will mash a sweet potato in them for added nutrients. It's not a big favorite, but I do it anyway. It makes them pretty and orange.

Today I pulled out the left overs for lunch. Knowing no one would really want them, I decided to spruce them up and make potato salad. I didn't really have enough ingredients to make a good potato salad but we did have pickles so I decided that would suffice. I started chopping, adding, and stirring. At this point I have potatoes, pickles, and mayo. It doesn't look good. So I add the mustard. Whoops. The orange potatoes, green pickles, and yellow mustard made a color that was....well, wrong for potato salad!! It had an unusual sweet "twang", not to mention those stringy things that come with sweet potatoes. Oh well, back to the drawing board. We decided on leftover beans for lunch instead!


I have a few kids that are becoming whimpy when they get hurt. The least little scrape or bruise causes conversation for days. Tired of this, I decided to try something besides the old "suck it up" speech. Christian starts complaining of a carpet burn. This is the second or third time I've heard about this carpet burn. I tell him I have "just the thing". I go to the kitchen and whip up a batch of "pain medicine". It is a mixture of oil, vanilla, soy sauce, vinegar, and different spices from the cabinet. I call him in and give him a big tablespoon full of it. Thinking myself pretty clever, I had to hide my face to keep from smiling. He says, "hum, tastes like salad dressing" and turned to leave completely unaffected. I was SOOO disappointed!! I thought I had him for sure! Well knowing this would happen again very soon, I added some taco seasoning, mustard, and a splash of hot sauce. I'll let you know how it goes!!

No comments: