We had the family over for Fathers Day and grilled yummy food. Problem was, there were flies EVERYWHERE. Like thousands of them. Like Egyptian plague numbers y'all.
At first I figured there must be something gross in the trash cans. And the unfortunate thing about that was that trash day was still 4 days away. But since we had the same fly population on the front porch then we decided that couldn't be it.
So I thought I would get out my yellow fly swatter and go to town. As if.
The first swat broke the whole thing. The whacker part broke off the stick part and then it was useless.
That's what I get for buying fly swatters that come in a 3-pack for 99 cents.
But my man pulled out this spiral yellow strip that hangs from roof of the patio thing that is supposed to catch flies. And I didn't like that. Because that's super ugly and gross looking hanging there with dead flies like we are displaying our latest collection for everyone to see. After about 10 minutes and 200 flies later I decided it could stay.
But then he pulled out the big gun! The blue light bug zapper! And let's just say that was the entertainment for the rest of the evening.
~Our sweet friend, Mr. Jay called us over this weekend to pick green beans. LOTS of beans.
Today we finally got around to snapping them all and it took 8 of us to do it in about an hour in a half.
Now I have to figure out what else to do. Freeze? or Can? Since I don't have a pressure canner (and I like to mention this to my man every chance I get) I suppose they will be frozen.
~Today we picked kale. And one green tomato that fell off the vine. Josh and Nate built a new fence and we did a bunch of weeding. Weeding, fence building, and bean snapping took all morning. Then we came in sweaty and filthy to start lunch only to remember that the breakfast dishes still weren't done.
This farm life is hard!
~Have you ever tried freezing fresh juice into popsicle molds? I have kale, celery, and carrots to juice and I was going to mix it into frozen orange juice and freeze it. Do you think the fresh juice part will separate?
~My little man is in his bed (one hour reading time) singing a VBS song. So cute.
~I just wrote my first book review on Amazon. Big deal...I know. But I've always kinda wanted to do that.
~And now the afternoon plans.... change out of grubby garden clothes, make dinner and popsicles, and read Hank The Cowdog to my peeps before Daddy comes home.
Today's meals....
Breakfast - scrambled eggs, and smoothie with banana, strawberries, and coconut milk
Lunch - leftover everything
Dinner - meatloaf (don't tell my kids), mashed potatoes, green beans
Snack - almond cookies or smoothies
No comments:
Post a Comment